Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel temps....

Shadow and I were chatting...and he brought up fuel temps....so to put the probe out for yet another discussion on EA82T performance.....does fuel temperature really matter?

I would think that the cooler the fuel, the better....just like the air entering the engine....

You would really only see a difference under extremely high ambient temperatures. I recall a write up back in the late 80's or early 90's on GMC's attempt to capture a land speed record for a production vehicle using a Syclone. They ended up having to refrigerate their fuel (and air) using the truck's A/C system. I can't remember the specific reason why, I just remember the article pointing out the big cooler in the bed of the truck. But, I would think that it would have something to do with fuel vaporization at high temps. Then again, that was on the Bonneville salt flats at God only know how many bazillion degrees.

go to google and look up Pogue Carburetor. Back in the thirties, a guy by the name of Charles Nelson Pogue invented a device called the poge carburetor. Basically it used exhaust gases to heat the fuel into a vapor, and this vapor was fed into the engine. While he never secured any patents, and the "big three" never bought any of his inventions, his device supposedly got upwards of SIXTY MPG on a gas engine.

Heating the fuel would make it vaporize more readily, which is what you want since it is teh vapors, not the liquid fuel that burns.