Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have searched all over to figure this out, with no luck. I put a 1998 2.2 into a 1996 legacy. The 96 has the charcoal canister under the hood, the 98 doesnt, so, to try and simplify things, i swapped the vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, and wiring harness to the 98 2.2, and then, ran into an issue where the coil connectors are different, so, what i am trying to find out is what wires from the 2.2 connector do i connect to the 2.5 connector, so that i can connect the coil. The 2.2 connector is a gray 3 wire plug, with the wires being #1 Blue, #2 red, and #3 Yellow, and the 2.5 3 wire plug the wires are #1 blue, #2 Yellow, and #3 Red, so, what i am trying to figure out is, do i connect the wires by color, or by number position. The only thing i am sure of is that the center wire is supposed to be the 12V power wire on both connectors. I took the wire positions from this PDF: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/--Articles--/--Endwrench--/Files/IgnitionCoil_Mar08.pdf. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

far simpler to just run the 98 canister hoses to the front mounted canister. Done it a few times.

Not even sure you can splice those two. I think you'd need a 98 coil.

I have already swapped the wiring and all the vacuum lines from the 2.5, and put the intake back on. I figured, since i have the 3 wire plug from the 2.2, and the 3 wire plug from the 2.5, all i need to know is, do they connect say, blue to blue, red to red, yellow to yellow, or blue to red, red to yellow, yellow to blue, for example. The first pic is the plug that i cut off an old coil, that matches the wiring harness i put in the car. The second pic is the plug that matches the coil that is now in the car. All i want to do is connect the two plugs together the right way to make the coil work with the wiring harness i am using.

post-17577-0-05619600-1490813060_thumb.jpg

post-17577-0-42375000-1490813076_thumb.jpg

Yes match colors. I went the other way

If you look at the wiring diagrams i have, IF i am reading them right, the center wire for both coils is supposed to be the 12V key on wire, but that would mean connecting the yellow wire on the 2.2 connector to the red wire on the 2.5 connector, which is why im still lost on this one. The wiring diagrams i have also say both outside wires are the ones that go to the ignitor, but, those colors on the plugs dont match, except for the blue ones.

well, I just matched the colors and it ran. I didn't check the manual since the colors were identical. I put a 1996 EJ22E in a 1999 Legacy SUS ( EJ25D ) and used the 1999 wiring harness since the 1996 harness was damaged. It required swapping that connector