Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 WRX Intake leak from throttle body

2002 WRX, i have an intake leak coming from the shaft that actuates the TPS on the side of the throttle body (Confirmed with smoke test). Has anyone had this problem before, and if so were you able to fix the throttle body without replacing it? New from the dealer is $600, and the aftermarket units look like they dont have a provision for cruise control. Any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you! 

Are you having some other problem that prompted the smoke test? It's not normal to have to replace a throttle body for a worn throttle shaft.

Remove the throttle shaft and check it for wear.

The throttle shaft doesn't have a perfect seal, older stuff usually had just brass bushings on either end. Newer aluminum throttle bodies probably just have the shaft ride directly in the aluminum.

Probably not a problem, but you can put some heavy grease on it and see if it changes anything.

So many things that can cause rough idle problems.

Plugs are new? NGK?

All breather/PCV hoses are attached properly? No splits or cracks in the ends?

Intake tubing is properly attached everywhere?

Boost is controlled electronically on that year? Boost control valve is clean and connected properly?

• Like 1

IT HAS a major leak from the throttle shaft at the tps side. No question about it. I know this is the problem, I was looking to see if anyone else had encountered it before and had a cheaper fix. Thank you for your help =)