Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, when I am sitting in the car with key in the on position I hear this sound like something is trying to run. It is the same sound all the time... kind of like something is trying to open or close, and the it cycles like every 30 seconds

The A/C, heater, radio are all off..

I will try and record the sound later tonight.. any advice is helpfull.

06SubLegTx,

Always state the year, model and mileage of the car with the problem. It helps narrow down where to start when considering a solution. As I found out just this week, the rear brake setup on OutBack's, that has been the same for 20 years, changed on the 2014 models. It stopped me in my tracks!

The models are different, the years are different, and the mileage often gives us a clue as to what the problem is.

That said .... I assume you have an 06 subie legacy .... ? With how many miles?

OK this sounds familiar. On my 05 Legacy Outback, there is occasionally a sound that is the motor that controls the vent position struggling. Apparently this tired little motor is a common problem but not one I feel like taking the car half apart to get to.

When you hear the noise, try switching the "mode" of the air circulation including the foot/window/body direction as well as fresh air intake. It usually gets enough momentum after switching it around to stop the damn sound. At first I thought it was a CD that was stuck and trying to play. Hey, you never know... in your case it may be a stuck CD.

Now that I am thinking about it, it hasn't been happening lately in the colder weather here in CT. 

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

06SubLegTx,

Always state the year, model and mileage of the car with the problem. It helps narrow down where to start when considering a solution. As I found out just this week, the rear brake setup on OutBack's, that has been the same for 20 years, changed on the 2014 models. It stopped me in my tracks!

The models are different, the years are different, and the mileage often gives us a clue as to what the problem is.

That said .... I assume you have an 06 subie legacy .... ? With how many miles?

Sorry, 2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited. 99,135 miles 

I hear the noise sitting in the car. No engine, Everything is off, Ignition is in the ON position, engine is off.

New Cabin Filter

I think that is what it is... something trying to do something.... is there a way to fix it?

when did you first notice the sound?

the connectors Tex speaks of would need to be intentionally connected, not a sudden random occurrence.

if temporally related to the cabin filter installation, is there a chance any large piece of debris was introduced into the vent stream so as to partially block the switching mechanism?

• Like 1

Well, I found out what it was, and verified from a Subaru Tech.  It is a Mode Relay that control where the want you heat and ac to exit from (Dash Vent or Windshield area etc)

The Subaru Tech said that over time these relays motors fail because they have plastic gearing on the inside, and the gears wear out, become brittle and they no longer hold there specific parameters, and just constantly do a loop, cause this repetitive sound...

• Like 1