Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Loyale FWD, 3spd auto. Manual swap? I have questions!

Look for ones from sedans and XTs as they were more likely to be FWD.

wiring shouldn't be too difficult. Need to join the wires from safety switch in the gear selector and extend the reverse light wiring from the selector to the trans.

in the hydraulic 3 spd? I know there's definitely that for the electronic 4 speed.

BTW, if you happen to know which wire, that'd be helpful. I know others converting the 4 spd auto to manual have had issues with the check engine light coming on...

So to be clear, my car is a 1993, Loyale sedan front wheel drive 3 speed auto. I'm going to assume that when you say hydraulic you are meaning it has a modulator valve on the side that works off the intake, which mine does. I am wanting to switch my car from the auto trans to a 5 speed manual, while keeping the front wheel drive. Not looking to make it a 4wd car.

I looked at my fsm, there are a few indications of differences. I'm not 100 % sure what they do, and I don't have both cars to cross check. Th= fsm is lot better than the after market service books. Someone may have a link to the ecu schematics.

Yea, you'll need the entire pedal assembly, clutch, brake, and throttle. Technically the throttle pedal is the same, but there's no point to remove it from the pedal box....

Transmission crossmember is different. Obviously shift linkage, flywheel, clutch kit, clutch cable and starter.

Your old speedometer cable will fit the manual transmission. CV axles are interchangeable. 

You will have to at the very least bypass the neutral start switch to allow the vehicle to start. You may also want to splice into the reverse switch for the reverse lights

Oh, and you can use a 4x4 transmission and just cap the rear driveshaft output. The right size spray paint can cap is a snug fit, make sure it's not one of the ones with a small vent hole in it, put a little RTV around the outside and push it in to the end of the trans. Don't push it all the way in until it bottoms on the shaft, as the spinning shaft with eat a hole in the plastic quickly, just most of the way in.

It's getting hard to find any of these cars in the junkyards now, so don't hesitate to get a 4wd one if you find it. The 2wd's will be harder to find.