Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help about to start breaking things

So I just spent almost 8 hours just trying to do a simple rear axle. axle was clunking I've done the fronts so many times figured the backs should be easy. Bought an axle, went out this morning and was completely wrong. First it was getting the brake drum off, after breaking a lug stud the drum just wouldn't come off. After hammering and hammering it finally wiggled off, cool whatever. Then it was getting the roll pins out of the old axle. I hate roll pins with a passion and refuse to use them, when I replace the axles on this car I just put really big cotter pins back in and have not had any issues and makes replacing the axle next time much easier. After spending many hours on getting the outer pin out, had to drill it and hit it with an array of things including rollpin punches, then the axle wouldn't slide off. So another hour or 2 hammering it with a sledge hammer and some wd40 it finally came out. So now I'm at the point where my new axle is in everything went together fine until the drum. The drum refuses to slide onto the shoes. There is a lip always on one side of it of shoe that it just hits and won't go over. Now I have had this apart before when I put the new studs in it before I put my all terrains on the car and it came off and on super easy, haven't touched it since. I have been trying for around a half and hour and everytime one side fits the other doesn't. I can't find where to adjust the shoes and I can't do anything. I'm over today and I'm over this car right now but tomorrow I need to be able to take it to the shop I work at so I can get my radiator and replace my entire cooling system tomorrow night. Anyone know how to get this drum back over the shoes? Please

If the drum won't go over the shoes, there are three possibilities.

1) The shoes are adjusted too far out. Use the adjuster screw to bring the shoes closer together.

2) There is a lip on the drum preventing it from going over the shoes which have automatically adjusted to fit the inside of the drum.    Turn the drums to remove the lip or adjust the shoes down and wait for them to adjust themselves back up. Braking will be slightly diminished during this time.

3) The shoes are out of alignment up & down on each side. Realign them and carefully walk the drum back on.

I thought rear axles had been all but discontinued, so I'm not surprised you got the wrong one.

Dude I had that same problem once.. supposedly and I got it a couple times easy.. to get it off we slip a small screw driver in the back access hole we already know that part it retracts the shoes and the drum pulls off..

Should be the same in reverse order.. springs, then the adjuster.. return spring then fold the shoes on install the retaining clip and it explodes again parts everywhere!! Get mad! Get a cup of coffee and smoke.. look at it again!

Repeat process get it together.. look at it poke at it question it .. carefully move assembly to center it then in stall drum squarely as possible.. use a soft mallet tap it lightly... should go on..

Other than that I would be questioning the diameter of the axle shaft..

Take break and take in some YouTube miles fox subaru... it will be alright man we know ????

Dude I had that same problem once.. supposedly and I got it a couple times easy.. to get it off we slip a small screw driver in the back access hole we already know that part it retracts the shoes and the drum pulls off..

Should be the same in reverse order.. springs, then the adjuster.. return spring then fold the shoes on install the retaining clip and it explodes again parts everywhere!! Get mad! Get a cup of coffee and smoke.. look at it again!

Repeat process get it together.. look at it poke at it question it .. carefully move assembly to center it then in stall drum squarely as possible.. use a soft mallet tap it lightly... should go on..

Other than that I would be questioning the diameter of the axle shaft..

Take break and take in some YouTube miles fox subaru... it will be alright man we know

1) The shoes are adjusted too far out. Use the adjuster screw to bring the shoes closer together.

2) There is a lip on the drum preventing it from going over the shoes which have automatically adjusted to fit the inside of the drum.    Turn the drums to remove the lip or adjust the shoes down and wait for them to adjust themselves back up. Braking will be slightly diminished during this time.

3) The shoes are out of alignment up & down on each side. Realign them and carefully walk the drum back on.

I thought rear axles had been all but discontinued, so I'm not surprised you got the wrong one.

I got it guys, took a break then had to pull the shoes apart and found out my wheel cylinder was freezing up so got it to loosen and the drum slid right on drove the car all is good now. In the next day or so I'm doing an entire cooling system I have a water pump a 170 thermostat new hoses and getting a new radiator. After that I'm going to start tackling what I want to do about my breaks and possibly my suspension and brakes all around.

And on the 92s? Brand new import direct axles quite a few actually available here within a day or 2 3 at the 1 day store and a bunch at the farther stores orielly is my second home lol

And on the 92s? Brand new import direct axles quite a few actually available here within a day or 2 3 at the 1 day store and a bunch at the farther stores orielly is my second home lol

Did you have a stroke? I can't read this at all.

One other thing.... i know you said you dont use roll pins.. but I learned from my oldtimer local subaru mechanic that did my clutch.. he told me he see's it thousands of times people SMASH the roll pin into place and it's a mother to get them out.. and that's because there is a slight .030 of an inch that the holes don't line up.. so take it out a flip it.

I didn't just replace my rear axle shaft.. I replaced the whole Dammed axle swing and brake assembly! Kinda painless that way... but I practically lost the brake line connection in doing so... ha ha ha!glad your cruising again!

Edited by Len Dawg
  • Like 1

One other thing.... i know you said you dont use roll pins.. but I learned from my oldtimer local subaru mechanic that did my clutch.. he told me he see's it thousands of times people SMASH the roll pin into place and it's a mother to get them out.. and that's because there is a slight .030 of an inch that the holes don't line up.. so take it out a flip it.

I didn't just replace my rear axle shaft.. I replaced the whole Dammed axle swing and brake assembly! Kinda painless that way... but I practically lost the brake line connection in doing so... ha ha ha!glad your cruising again!

We've had that issue a couple times at the shop here. A legacy we could only get so much pin out, so we cut it flush and knocked it into the inner splines so we could pull the axle off then knock the rest out. I would have suspected that on mine but these axles looked original lol.

Damn near, sorry was super tired, basically was trying to say, no they aren't discontinued. You can get brand new import directs from oriellys, at least where I am.

$40 a piece new for rears on Rockauto. Picked up a set to have around for when my Loyale decides to eat one.