Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap strange stalling issue

Rallyru

Recently finished an ej swap into me 80 GL using an ej25d from a 1998 usdm outback. It has ran fine until about 2 weeks ago when the car stalled while coming to a stop. Since then it has happened 5 more times. Driving down the road it's fine. It only occurs when I push in the clutch and it idles down when coming to a stop. After it dies and I turn the ignition on it acts like it's in test mode and continuously turns the fuel pump on and off. Sometime it will start after and idle but if I give it any throttle at all it dies again. After I push it off to the side of the road and let it sit for 3-5minutes it will start and run just fine for the rest of the day. I had originally thought it was the fuel pump relay. Replaced it, same thing. Then I jumpered the fuel pump connection to run constantly and it still did it. All wiring harness and ecu go with the donor engine. Any insight or suggestions would be very much appreciated. It has proven hard to diagnose and hasn't thrown any abnormal codes so as you can imagine I'm very frustrated at this point. tia

Donor an automatic or manual? Neutral switch hooked up? Mileage? Maintenance stuff?

"abnormal codes"....what codes is it throwing?

You say when it stalls you have to wait a few minutes, what happens if you try to restart it immediately? Have you tried holding it to WOT while cranking then (shuts off injectors to clear a flooded situation)?

My 96 did some wacky stuff similar to yours, when coming to a stop she would stop running, I usually didn't notice until I tried to go again! Mine would always restart immediately however, and no codes.

I switched the maf with a junkyard piece and it seems to have solved the issue. She hadn't done it since. But on a side note, sometimes she wouldn't start first time of the day unless I disconnected the maf, then started her and let her run all crappy for a bit, then hooked it back up. She would die again at that point, but started right back up.

food for thought, I would clean the maf first then maybe try another one to start with.

some say that the vehicle speed sensor causes stalling when coasting to a stop with ej swaps, but I never connected mine on my ej22 swap into an 86 GL, and no stalling like that.

cheers man, hope you find the problem!

Edited by sparkyboy

Donor was an automatic but I put the ecu into manual mode. 185,000 mile. Other then head gaskets replaced 50,000 miles ago and water pump done at the time of the swap, All other maintenance is unknown. P0183 fuel temp sensor (disconnected), P0446 evap (disconnected), P0463 fuel level sensor (disconnected), p0480 cooling fans (disconnected). I havent tried to hold it WOT. I'll try that next time. After it stalls I can start it again and it will idle but if I give it any throttle at all it dies again.