Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No start after turbo gasket replacement, no spark.

Hey guys, 1989 gl wagon turbo,

I just replaced my turbo mounting gaskets and (pita) coolant hoses. Now, it won't start, though it ran great right before. I could faintly smell fuel, though I'm not ruling fuel problems out completely. It did sit for about 3 weeks. I'm not getting spark, nothing to the dist, and nothing to the coil. I do have power in and out of the 4 fuses next to the battery.

Where do you estimate I'm losing power from the fuses to the coil (bad coil?)? Is it an ignition switch? Some solenoid? Any ideas on what to check for would be appreciated!

Try another distributor, another coil.  Check the brittleness and thus the lack of conductivity of two wires.  The first wire is the engine ground wire where it connects to the body in front of the battery.  The second is the black wire coming off of the + battery terminal, that goes into the bottom of the fusible link box.  The critical end is at the battery end of that black wire.  You may have also disconnected some main electrical harnesses and forgot to reconnect them around the air intake box.

• Like 1