Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '03 Legacy wagon with nearly 33,000 miles on it. I have had the engine tapping sound basically since I've owned the car. It's worse in the winter, but is still apparent this summer. My dealer told me this is "normal" and that they can't do anything about it (strange that my friend's '03 Legacy wagon does not make the noise). Anyway, there's a new sound that's developed - it sounds like a tapping/knocking under the dashboard -and I hear it mostly in the mornings when I'm either stopped at a light or accelerating. After the car is driven for about 10 minutes, I can't hear that noise anymore. Any ideas? Maybe suggestions of what I should say to the dealer about the noise? It's beginning to get irritating that they can't find anything wrong!

I did read some of the threads about window noise. My passenger window started making noises a week or so ago. I took it to the dealer and they said they fixed the problems by adjusting the gusset. WRONG! The noise is louder now than it was before. Again, is there something in particular I should point out to the dealer to get the problem fixed?