Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a few questions on swapping to a dual range tranny

So Im swapping my brat over from a 4 speed to a 5 speed tranny, ive been rumageing through all the threads on here, and thats helped a ton, but i still have a few questions, and considering most of the threads are 5-10 years old, hopeing to get some more up to date data.

Im planning on using the ea81 flywheel with the new transmission, rather than grinding down the corners of the bell housing. Ive read some threads that say to have it machined down to .815 and some threads say no machineing necessary.

Do i need to get the flywheel machined or not? If so, exactly what part of the flywheel do i need to have machined down? The inner metal surface where it meets the clutch?

My second question is what clutch setup works best? Ive heard that I can use the ea83 clutch setup, ive been told to pickup a clutch with 6 springs out of a early legacy, and ive also read that alot of people use xt clutch disk. What are the advantages of one over the other?

You can use the EA81 flywheel if it is the bigger diameter 84 and up though there were still two sizes, otherwise you have to use the EA82 flywheel and grind the block side of the bell housing. It's not about machining things, it's about the diameter of the flywheel to accommodate the larger EA82 clutch. Machining comes in when you use the XT6 clutch on an EA82 flywheel. As I understand it, you can't get the XT6 disc separate anymore so it's a moot point not to mention there's no reason to put one behind an EA81. A plain old EA82 clutch behind an EA81 is more than sufficient.

If you use the EA82/XT6 clutch then the step needs to be. 815", yes. We just did one of these about a week ago and had it stepped by our machines shop. Works normal. It is an EA82 clutch kit and EA82 flywheel with transfered timing marks.

GD

Right, but im going to be using the ea 81 flywheel, not the ea 82 flywheel

You can only use the EA81 flywheel if it is the same diameter and thickness as the EA82 as I stated above. You have to use the EA82 clutch components with the 5spd trans. If your EA81 did not come with the larger flywheel, then you have to grind the case. IIRC, the starter position is different as well from the EA81 trans to the EA82 trans in some way, so again, you have to have the bigger EA81 or standard EA82 flywheel.

Edited by skishop69

You can only use the EA81 flywheel if it is the same diameter and thickness as the EA82 as I stated above. You have to use the EA82 clutch components with the 5spd trans. If your EA81 did not come with the larger flywheel, then you have to grind the case. IIRC, the starter position is different as well from the EA81 trans to the EA82 trans in some way, so again, you have to have the bigger EA81 or standard EA82 flywheel.

So if im using the larger ea81 flywheel i dont need to have it machined then?

Yes you still have to have it stepped to .815". That is the step for EA82/XT6. Which flywheel you use doesn't matter. The clutch is designed for that step height.

GD

Ok, thats the answer ive veen looking for!

So not knowing much about flywheels or maching, what part of the flywheel exactly do i need machined down? Or what do i need to tell the machine shop to do when i take it in?

Ok, thats the answer ive veen looking for!

So not knowing much about flywheels or maching, what part of the flywheel exactly do i need machined down? Or what do i need to tell the machine shop to do when i take it in?

The machine shop will know what your talking about. Just bring it in and tell them you need a .815" step. They charge less if you pull the dowel pins yourself.