Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying questions. 99 outback limited ej25

So im looking at buying a 99 outback ej25. The car for the most part is super clean 120,000 miles, auto trans. 80% tire tred.

They sayed its a blown head gasket. There was no water in it. The oil level was high, no water that i could see in there either. I brought a good battery with me, and it will turn over but will not start or even fire. Its been sitting for what they said 6 mouths. They were asking $700 for it and as i was leaving they said that they could do $550.

Thoughts anyone?

Grab it and get a good used 95 2.2 and drop it in after doing the Timing Belt and seals.  

It will run forever and it's plug and play.  You want the same EGR configuration as the current 2.5.

Less then $500 for the engine and parts and your set.

^+1 on the 2.2 swap.

Engine was probably ran 'til it died, which is why it won't start?

'99 was also the 1st year of the Phase 2 4EAT. They're known for 'delayed engagement'. It's noted on this Forum that it can be fixed or improved w/an additive, IIRC.

Pick n pulls have the best deals. Often $150 or so.

Www.car-part.com

It depends where you live. PNW prices are high.

Also the better you know Subarus the wider range of vehicles and engines you can look for.

Impreza legacy outback even EJ18's and older EJ22's can be used if you swap manifold harnesses.

I have a complete write up with everything you need to know, look it up it has all the vehciles that have EJ22 you can use.

• Like 1

Ok, so im going to pick up this car tomorrow, got it down to $400. She was asking $700 for it.

Whats the story with the 2.2 turbo? I checked on the wed site www.car-parts.com and they had some available for the 92 legacy (with vin 6 in the 6th digit) not sure what difference that makes. Just wondering if it would be worth going that way if im to swap the engine. Im in California also. So smogs a thing.

Edit: 2 minutes late...but didn't know Cali's restrictions.

You're wanting a '95-'98 2.2 for the easiest swap. '90-'94 can be done, but needs a bit more work. The '91-'94 turbo engines require an ECU/computer to run 'em and there isn't anything that'll work w/your '99. 

You'll want to do so more research if you don't just  go w/another '96-'99 EJ25D from a Legacy LSi, GT or OB,  '98 Forester or '98 Impreza RS, or do the 2.2 swap. This assumes the original engine in there is DOA. Usually, you can just replace the HG, R&R the heads and it's good  - well, @ least 'til rod bearings go to Tijuana. 

IMHO, If you're getting the car for $400, that's a steal, so buy a decent 2.2, and maintained it'll do 300K w/just regular maintenance.

Edited by wtdash

Cool, i just got this car home. Its a dohc. Ill tear into this car after im done with my other car. If it really is a headgasket issue only, then ill probably do what GeneralDisorder is suggesting

Unfortunately, I don't expect that doing a head gasket change is going to fix the problem. When a Subie head gasket blows, it over heats the engine. The engine has a lot of aluminum, which will warp if over heated. Good chance the heads are warped. You just don't know how many times the engine was over heated, until it died. Also, 99 Subie main bearings are not the strongest, so over heating them causes early failure.

I learned a lot about this, when my wife's 98 Outback blew the head gasket, and she drove on. It is a wonder it did not lock up, but she did get it home. It did start and run after a cool down, but poorly........just too much warpage, and leakage. The motor was shot.

My opinion, is that you are wasting your time and money with any work on existing bad head gasket motor. Far better off swapping in a good motor.

Ok. Thank you for your story. Your probably right. I know that this engine got very hot as there was calcium deposits all around the radiator and under as well

With calcium deposits all around the radiator, don't be surprised that the radiator leaks from the over heating, and will need to be replaced. It took a new radiator after replacing the "cooked' motor in wife's car.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up an other motor and auto for free out of a 97. Its a dohc. They said it was running but had some problems. Mostly tranny problems. Maybe a head gasket. I figured that ill pull the motor out of this car, do the head gasket on the 97 motor and put it in this car. Sounds like a good idea??

Can't beat free. It's probably head gaskets if the rods aren't yet knocking.

I am a firm believer in the ej22 swap. Lived in california for a while and drove a few that way and helped two friends do the same. Smog was never an issue. It will pass just fine if it's running right. Just dont smog it at a Subaru specific shop where they would notice the difference between the two motors. 99 legacies had a 2.2 (phase 2) You would need a 95-98 to replace your motor. So it would not look unusual in there.

You can roll the dice on the free motor. Make sure to get subaru OEM gaskets and have the heads resurfaced. At that point you'll almost be at the cost of the Ej22 motor.

You'll never know how bad the engine was overheated so it's all just guess work and comes down to how much is your time worth?

Your only chance of learning something concrete about either engine is two fold:

1. Check the knock sensor and timing covers closely. If they're melted I'd probably move onto another engine. I have seen cheap, overheated EJ25s bought with melted plastic and installed and knock shortly after.

2. A used oil analysis (online, send you a free kit and you mail a sample back) could tell you if oil or bearings were compromised.

Either way - Let's say you got a 40 percent chance (totally making that up) of the block blowing in a year. That's still a 60% chance of making good on the effort which is a great fit for

some.

Edited by grossgary