Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying questions. 99 outback limited ej25

Cool, thanks for the feed back. On this free engine, the guy seemed to be having more tranny problems then motor. He was going to work on it and fix it so he pulled the motor and tranny together. Then he checked things and determined that the passenger side had the start of a headgasket failure. Steam in the cylinders. No water in the oil. Then he got a new motor and tranny for $700. With a $100 core deposit. But it would cost him $300 to ship it, so he gave it to me.

• 1 month later...

Ok i have finally gotten around to working on this car. The timing belt is broken, the water pump is frozen up. The themo, someone drilled holes in it.... It also didnt open up until i had a full boiling water. So im guessing that the themo was the original problem.

• 1 month later...

I just bought the same/similar vehicle for $200(plus $65 for a tow), but as I am searching for fixes.... it seems like I have wasted my time/money.

Engine running, trans shot: 1999 Subaru legacy outback limited.   It seems to have the 4eat phase 2, and I assume 2.5.

I am wondering if I can rebuild the transmission myself......or if it is even worth it....

Ok i have finally gotten around to working on this car. The timing belt is broken, the water pump is frozen up. The themo, someone drilled holes in it.... It also didnt open up until i had a full boiling water. So im guessing that the themo was the original problem.

it likely wasn't the thermostat.

I've seen thermostats stuck in motors I've received that ran perfect with no headgasket or other issues. I guess that just sitting for extended periods removed from a vehicle can cause failure - build up, corrosion, materials degradation..?.

Also with significant overheating and all the white residual material I've seen inside overheated engines I wouldnt be surprised if a severely overheated engine could compromise a thermostat, particularly if it's overheated then sits a long time. If they can fail it only stands to reason that significant overheating could escalate the failure mode.

Other than that I've never seen a legitimate Subaru thermostat failure, i know it happens, but it's blamed and talked about far more often than it actually happens.

I wouldnt want that engine. 10years ago I would have given it a chance though! Someone clearly limped and abused it and didn't want to repair it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...