Ultimate Subaru Message Board

getting driveline lengthened

So I took my drivline in to have it extended for my 5 speed swap... driveline shop wont do it, due to being a liability to lengthen it to 51 inches at the current diameter. He said the only way he could do it would be to increase the diameter, and rebuild bushings ect ect. Quoted me $400-$500 to have it done....... anyone in have suggestions of other driveline shops that will do this work? Im in snohomish wa, but seattle are or mt vernon area is doable

Hey d8usti5n, 

I did my swap about 7-8 years ago and had a near same experience from the local drive-line shop here on the east side of the state. They didn't want to touch it.

I explained to them that on the power end was a 90 hp. engine and reminded them that I am sure they make drive lines for rock-crawlers, off road rigs and high performance cars (700 hp for a road car and their freaking on what you want?) and that they hold no liability for the requested modification and yes, I had to have new universals put in, all balanced and they charged me $400 or $500. or something like that. They did a great job and runs out smooth at 70 mph.  The 5-spd conversion is a great up grade for older subies when done right. I took mine to 6-States in Pasco, WA.   

They are not the only drive line shop in the area.  Next one you go to explain what your doing, why your doing it and that the modification has proven itself as being well within design criteria of materials involved.  I do have to agree with them on new universal joints etc... the old ones are 30 years old and pain in the butt for them to mess with so starting with "new" is just easier on them.

People are freaky over the liability thing but possibly find an off-road shop etc.. they will laugh at your little drive line but if they want your money, they will do it.

good luck.  

We had one done a few weeks ago by Six States Distributors driveline shop (Portland Oregon location):

http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp

These guys do thousands of MONSTER drivelines for heavy trucks.

$190 for a new section of tube, welded, balanced, painted, and serviced u-joints.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Hey d8usti5n,

I did my swap about 7-8 years ago and had a near same experience from the local drive-line shop here on the east side of the state. They didn't want to touch it.

I explained to them that on the power end was a 90 hp. engine and reminded them that I am sure they make drive lines for rock-crawlers, off road rigs and high performance cars (700 hp for a road car and their freaking on what you want?) and that they hold no liability for the requested modification and yes, I had to have new universals put in, all balanced and they charged me $400 or $500. or something like that. They did a great job and runs out smooth at 70 mph. The 5-spd conversion is a great up grade for older subies when done right. I took mine to 6-States in Pasco, WA.

They are not the only drive line shop in the area. Next one you go to explain what your doing, why your doing it and that the modification has proven itself as being well within design criteria of materials involved. I do have to agree with them on new universal joints etc... the old ones are 30 years old and pain in the butt for them to mess with so starting with "new" is just easier on them.

People are freaky over the liability thing but possibly find an off-road shop etc.. they will laugh at your little drive line but if they want your money, they will do it.

good luck.

Yeah, Explained to them what I was doing, but they still wouldnt do it. The offroad shops around here can only do drivelines up to 39 inches or so.

We had one done a few weeks ago by Six States Distributors driveline shop (Portland Oregon location):

http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp

These guys do thousands of MONSTER drivelines for heavy trucks.

$190 for a new section of tube, welded, balanced, painted, and serviced u-joints.

GD

That sounds like a good deal. May have to make a road trip