Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio wiring

I'm putting the radio out of a 1992 legacy into my 91 Loyale and splicing the wires to get it to fit. Will I have to rewire the speakers or will the newer radio work with the existing wires? I ask because of the common ground of the earlier ones. How is the common ground worked while each of the speakers have 2 wires running to them? does anyone have knowledge of what each of the different colored wires on the power connector side of the legacy radio are? I can figure out wich wires do what on the old radio as I cut them.

The Legacy radio will not be wired for common ground. If you choose to use back speakers, you'll have to run new speaker wire to them from the HU to the F/R split point.

EA82s are common ground front to rear, meaning the left side speakers share the same ground wire going into the HU. Likewise with the right. EA81s and earlier are completely common ground, which means 3 of the 4 speakers have to be rewired. The new standard, floating ground, utilizes an individual ground wire for each speaker.

The split is under the kickpanel on the Loyale. It is a tannish orange connector that has 2 blue wires spliced into one side. I'm having problems wiring up the lecacy radio, and I noticed that my origional radio was dimming to the beat. the new radio does this too, which it didn't when hooked up to my 2 amp power supply. This makes me think that the stock wiring is much too small. The radio could be rewired to hook up to the lighters wires, which are beefier. I have a bunch of random unconnected wires on both sides of the cut. I still need a supply for when the car is off to keep the settings and the headlights on illumination. Does anyone have a color coded wiring diagram for the radio's in the Loyales and 92 legacys?