Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Help!

1984 BRAT. EA81. 5 Speed D/R. Tall center console from a wagon. The only modification to the wiring is a relay added into the starting circuit about 2 years ago to fix intermittent no-starts.

This part probably isn't entirely relevant as I think the timing was likely a coincidence, but just to be thorough, here's what was going on when the lights came on: I've been doing some tree removals on my property and yesterday I was using the BRAT to drag the trunks of some pine trees across the yard in 4lo. There is a very steep embankment about 8 feet high that I was going up and over. Steep enough that even with a little bit of a run at it to build momentum, I was spinning tires a little in dry dirt to get up and over. It wasn't the roughest driving in the world, but not a trip around the block either.

On one of my rides up the embankment, the dash suddenly lit up. AT Oil Temp, Brake Fluid, Stop Lamp, Rear DS Door. I find this very surprising because I don't have an automatic transmission or rear door, and my brake fluid and stop lamps seem to be just fine.

I drove the car a short distance yesterday and noticed that the volt meter on the dash reads very low, but holds steady, my headlights are extremely dim, and the power steering is whining very loudly. Engine was running fine. The power steering might be a separate issue, but figured I'd include all the facts.

Is this a dying alternator? Did something come unplugged? Bad ground somewhere? I haven't had a chance to investigate very far yet, so feel free to give me a head start.

Usually they come with lifetime warranty. See if you can just exchange it. Heard mixed reviews on those brands. Duralast etc.

I'll bet that you have to have the receipt, which I almost certainly do not.

I'm think that it might be time to upgrade! There is some nearly direct swap with a GM or Nissan alternator, right? Time to start searching...

I'll bet that you have to have the receipt, which I almost certainly do not.

I'm think that it might be time to upgrade! There is some nearly direct swap with a GM or Nissan alternator, right? Time to start searching...

I've had them look it up by name/phone number on brake pads. i think they take the info down for the warranty info. Especially if you have a rewards account its worth trying.

Get an alt for a 1990 Nissan Maxima and swap pulley's. Get the matching harness connector too. 

GD

That's the one!

I've had them look it up by name/phone number on brake pads. i think they take the info down for the warranty info. Especially if you have a rewards account its worth trying.

Definitely worth trying. I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but free replacement is better.