Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

15 inch Peugeot 505 wheels on 1984 AB5 Leone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alastor555

alastor555

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Pisa, Italy

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hello everyone, i found on ebay this ad:

http://www.ebay.fr/i...yYAAOSwTM5YwlJE

From what I understand they are OEM Peugeot 505 wheels of size 6Jx15 ET19 4x140pcd, vs the standard 5jx13 ET45 4x140 of the AB5 Leone.

All this i found online but I'm not 100% sure of the numbers and I wouldn't buy the wheels before having some expert feedback as I'm not sure if the swap is doable at all. I did some searches in the forum and on google but still don't have a confident opinion, any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marcos

#2 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

These are a fairly common (and highly desirable) wheel choice for 4x140 subarus. I have them on my BRAT. The only word of caution that I'd give is to be 100% certain that they are 15 inch, NOT 390mm. These wheels came in both sizes and 390mm tires are non-existent. These use pretty unique lug nuts, also.

There are many threads about Peugeot wheels on this forum, but they're often called "pugs" for short.

#3 alastor555

alastor555

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Pisa, Italy

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, will write the seller to ask if they are 15" for sure and not 390mm.

As for the lug nuts, I'm not sure I understand correctly the problem, are they just hard to find or some adaptation work is also required?

About the offset, I tried to look here: https://www.wheel-si...#trim-18-ab-jdm , https://www.wheel-si...5-70-13X5.0ET45 and it seems that for 15 inches an ET45 would be required, is it a problem to have ET19?

Will look for "pugs" in the forum, thanks!

Marcos

ps.

Could you please post a picture of your BRAT with those wheels? I only tried imagining them on the Leone but never saw an actual picture, it would be great.

Edited by alastor555, 18 April 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#4 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

http://imgur.com/a/qj2Mb

#5 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

http://www.indysworl...els/wheels.html

If you scroll down on that page, you'll see a picture of the lugs. I think that the issue is that the cone on the lug nuts is a different angle than most other lug nuts. I'm not an expert, but there are some around. I'd do some searching around and wait for more responses here if I were you.

#6 alastor555

alastor555

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Pisa, Italy

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Thanks a lot, will keep reading and hope for more replies by experts from the forum!

#7 Henpecked

Henpecked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Adelaide South Australia

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

Yes, I ran a thread on this topic of the lug nuts for some time. Supposedly the lug nuts had a spherical (curved) seat in order to match up to the speherical seat in the hell rims. yet I have placed straight edges against the seats of a large random selection of the original pug lug nuts that I have sourced, and they all had straight faces. So i then used the old valve "blue" to see how those nuts seated in the rims sockets, and it came out not as a tight circle but as a full face-to-face wide and deep match. So i have ended up very confused.

it may well be that "normal" "V" faced lug nuts will suffice just as well.

It would be good to discover if the new lug nuts that a specially made by a bloke on this forum have spherical"U" or flat "V" faces.

Aldo , those rims are the later S2 model 15" rims , they ( AFAIK) are all 15" not 14" and they were not made in the metric size. only the earlier 15" rims had an identical looking metric "brother"

Edited by Henpecked, 19 April 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#8 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,600 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Some considerable discussion here about it (obviously, a lot of it is very old and may not be relevant...):

http://www.ultimates...lug-nut-thread/

It's been a long time since I dealt with them, but my understanding is that they were still conical, but at a different angle (45* vs 60*, IIRC).

There's discussion in there, and I've seen it elsewhere that ball seat adapters work fairly well. It's not perfect, but better, and abundantly available.

#9 alastor555

alastor555

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Pisa, Italy

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

Thanks... Maybe after all the original lug nuts are easier to find here in Europe.

About the offset, going from a 5jx13 et45 wheel to a 6jx15 et19 wheel will not cause problems? It seems that the wheel will come out of about 39mm, sounds like a lot... http://www.1010tires...set-Calculator#

Well now the wheels look tiny and very much inside the wheelarches so it may be ok.

I contacted the seller asking if it's 390mm but from your responses i'm confident they are 15".

#10 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

I haven't' verified the dimensions of the offset on my wheels, but I'm not aware of these being offered in multiple offsets. So take a look at my pictures and see how the wheels fit. That's how yours will look.

#11 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,600 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

The offset is not ideal, but it works. The tires will no longer tuck under the fenders on compression.

Here's my 85 GL with 15" Pugs (I do not remember that tire size....)

#12 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

They should fit under an MY better than a L-series. I ran Pug 14's with +25mm offset and they still had plenty of space inside the wheel well (from memory they were 5.5", not 6").

They're definitely 15's rather than the 390mm (which aren't that hard to find in Europe anyway, compared to the ROW).

#13 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 11:41 PM

You must use the proper OEM or correctly remade wheel nuts on these rims, no ifs, no buts! Yes they are a conical or spherical shape seat.

Anything else will result in damaged rims or far worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users