Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Outback auto transmission linkage

My daughter has an "07 Outback.  It often takes two or three wiggles of the shift lever in park before the engine will turn over.  My dealer has replaced the modulator/interface box on the side of the transmission.  I feel that it is a mechanical problem in the linkage itself.  Is there a tension adjustment in the cable?  Is there a secondary contact closer to the lever in the linkage, other than the modulator/interface?  Any information anyone can offer pertaining to fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated!

girlysdad

On older ones theres a shift lock device (forget what it's called??) on the shifter that just gets sticky and prevents the car from startung unless it's in Park. On those the inhibitor switch on the side of the transmission isn't the issue. If that mechanism is compromised it can act like it's not in park when it is in park. Jiggling frees it up. I'm unsure how 2005+ are set up.

If it's doesn't start and you shift to neutral to start it - what happens?

Tell her to quit spilling coke and food down the shifter area. LOL

Thanks, Gary (I'm assuming that's your first name).  This helps a lot:  It narrows the problem down to only two possibilities.  By the way, when I shift into neutral, it starts every time.  The car was purchased about a month ago, so I'd like to get hold of those former coke drinkers and junk food eaters.