Hey everyone I just wanted to throw in some extra stuff I feel would be helpful to be added when looking into doing the roundy to bosch relay swap that Bumble Beast did a very good write up of. I am beginning to do the swap and actually just did the power window relay today and will be doing the rest in the coming days. This is just add ons I feel would be helpful when doing the swap yourself that I either missed in his first write up or that aren't on there. All credit goes to him on how to do this.
Bumble's post (Check it out first) ---> http://www.ultimates...d-bosch-relays/
Since so far I have only done the windows I can only comment on that first and I'll do more replies to this as I go.
So first off, the location of the relay is very easy and he does point you in the correct spot but to be exact as to where it is. The relay is located directly under the seat next to the door. You must take the passenger seat, the front kick panel in front of the door, pull the retainers for the top carpet holder, the 3 clips for the lower, and the screws for the lower. THEN peel back the carpet to reveal the relay. Again not a big thing just I spent a couple minutes looking for it, but I can be slow in the head.
The lower cover really just has to be removed to get to the screw that holds the relay in place.
K, so this part I actually do hope some people find a little useful. When I went to test for which wire was which, white was all time power, black was ground, but red and green/white BOTH came on with ignition hot and didn't ever change. SO, I looked up a wiring diagram and it showed red as switch and green/white as ign power. Well they were wrong, luckily I didn't just solder everything and go with it. I taped everything together so I could test it and of course nothing happened. So I changed those 2 and heard the relay click and then retaped them and like magic the windows worked.
Red - IGN hot
Green/white stripe - Switch
White - All time power
Black - ground
Again a small thing but hopefully it'll save some time for you guys.
(I did go kind of recklessly into this and cut everything instead of going 1 at a time, oh and side note anyone wondering, a 5 pin ((at least the ones I used****) can be used in place of the 4 pin that SHOULD be used. 87A is just a reverse power so leaving it taped up doesn't hurt anything.)
And lastly here is a picture of the relay all in and done, good soldering, heat shrinking, and taped.
**The exposed wire on the ground I noticed after I finished and it has been taped up all is well, didn't realize my heat shrink was too short until it was too late.
All in all I haven't had much time to test them out but they do seem a little more, responsive, I guess the word would be. They're not like night and day, but I'm also pretty sure it's just time for new motors anyways. The only clear observation I can give is normally I used to have to pull my passenger side window up after half way and now it a little more than crawled it's way up. So they do help in some way.
Hope this has helped, when I do the other relays I'll post anything I think would help with them as I go.