Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I had to put my brat into the garage for now after the wreck. Got a quick loan and came across this '98 Forester L that wasn't in bad shape except for a few minor problems. It was in FWD with the bypass fuse, the problem was that it won't shift passed 2nd in the Auto trans.

Tore apart the tail shaft and put in the gearing and clutches from a junker at pick n pull.

Still no go on the awd over 2nd.

I don't like the auto, it's my daily for work, and I'm just make it paycheck to paycheck with a bit of pocket change left over, so I don't have a lot of resources. But I have a knowledgable friend with some tools and equipment at hand.

Any help appreciated.

PM

or

Email:

Midgetminded@hotmail.com

So if it shifts through all the gears and function properly when in FWD but doesn't shift past 2nd in AWD. I highly doubt its a mechanical issue with shift solenoids. It sounds like there is something (possibly trouble code) that when the cars in AWD the ecm/tcm is saying "there's something wrong. Limp home mode!" And you're stuck to 1st and 2nd.

Check engine light on?

AT oil light flash at start up?

AT fluid level ok and condition to horrible?

The A/T temp light does flash but not at start up.

Just got done flushing the tranny and it's good on fluid. I keep checking.

No check engine light.

Abs light though.

Don't know any history of the car but the previous owner said he bought it from the original owner who took care of it

143xxx

Supposedly water pump and timing belt at 100k

When the light flashes. Is there a pattern? Any long flashes followed by short flashes. Or just a flashing light?

When does it flash? With the FWD fuse installed, or not installed?

When driving or when idling?

The more info you can post the more we can help.

Doubtful the ABS light being on would cause the limp home mode. But how long has the ABS light been on?

Also, does the check engine light actually illuminate when you first turn the key on?

If you can get your hands on a scan tool, try pulling codes from the ECM. Even if the light isn't on, a code might be stored that can help us narrow this down.

Ok I'll take it to get any codes pulled.

When I come up to a stop light, AT temp light comes on some/most time and is solid, occasionally it'll go to flashing and it doesn't stop until I turn off/on the engine.

I haven't noticed a pattern in the flashing except a constant quick flashing.

I'll check back tomorrow after work with the codes

If the AT light comes on solid while driving, I'm pretty sure its saying the at fluid is overheating.

Either that or its illuminated to say there's a fault in the tcm system.

Not sure if the light can come on for any reason besides an overheating issue while driving.

So. At this point. Try pulling codes from the ecm. And also, try getting codes from the tcm. I bet there's on in there as stored. You can find how to pull codes from the tcm somewhere on this website. Not sire where though.

And report back with ecm and tcm codes!

• 2 weeks later...

No it doesn't come on solid while driving. Usually just pulling up to a stop light. And haven't been able to get any codes pulled around town even with the AT temp light flashing. Any idea on what I need to get or where I need to go to get the codes as discussed?

Having to replace my power steering pump. Again the light only comes on when not in motion and the flashing hasn't really happened but a handful of times since the start of this topic. It did come on and flash for a while and then go back off all while driving consistently on the highway