Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Redline MT 90?

Guest jclay

anyone have any opinions on the redline mt 90 gear oil? a friend gave me 3 quarts, and i'm wondering if it's good for my 94 legacy (both tranny and rear diff?) if good, where can i get some more?

thanks, jared

I have several cars for which I follow individual internet forums for each. The forum for my Nissan 300ZX (TwinTurbo.net) has literally hundreds of recommendations for Redline MT 90 used in the 5 speed transmissions. Owners having troubles with grinding gears upshifting and downshifting in the upper gears, have raved about how their problems, for the most part, disappeared. Most were amazed. I haven't had the need to putany in my car as yet. I don't recall if the same product was used in the rearend. My 1954 MG TF forum again has many people giving good claims for its use in the transmission. I put some in mine last week, but have not put enough miles on the car to give an opinion as of yet. I was hoping it would help cure a bad synchro on the 4th to 3rd downshift. It hasn't as of yet. The same forum warns not to use it in the rear end of the MG. My own Sub is an automatic ,so no help there. My recommendation would be that it certainly is a good choice for your tranny, but I would do more research before I put it in your rear end.

anyone have any opinions on the redline mt 90 gear oil? a friend gave me 3 quarts, and i'm wondering if it's good for my 94 legacy (both tranny and rear diff?) if good, where can i get some more?

MT-90 is wonderful but will not work for a Subaru.

It will also not work for your rear diff.

Remember that Subaru MT and transaxle share fluid unlike many cars trucks.

I emailed Redline and ask them what I should use in my Subaru, because I have had such success with MT-90 in my other vehicles.

Here is the response from Redline.

>Request Type : Technical Request

>Message : Hello

>

>I am trying to figure out what type fluid I should run in my vehicle

>manual transmissions. I have used your MT-90 in multiple vehicles

>with great success.

>

>My question revolves around running a GL4 transmission fluid in a

>Subaru where the transmission and front differential share the fluid.

>

>The factory recommends using GL5 fluid but I have run GL4 in most

>all my manual box and the difference between running GL5 and GL4 is

>night and day, with the GL4 working sooo much better.

>

>What type of fluid would you recommend I run in a Subaru with shared

>transmission and front differential?

>Thanks

Richard,

In your Subaru transaxle where the GL-5 gear lube is called for I

would recommend the 75W90NS, I would expect the shiftability to be

close to the MT-90. The NS fluids have no friction modifier so are

not to slippery for the synchros the problem with most GL-5 gear

oils. The 75W90 would be suitable for the rear differential.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

sorry to have to take the other side of this, BUT, i do use mt-90 in my manual tranny, and mobil 1 75-90 in the rear diff. (could use redline 75-90 but have a case of m1 to burn through)

i tried redline 75-90NS in the tranny and it had shiftability problems just the same as when i used the mobil 1 75-90 in the tranny.

it really matters not to me that it is a gl-4, it works the best.

btw, i use redline mtl in my transaxle of 95 corolla since new and it is a gl-4 and it has 180k miles on it with better synchronization than the sube.

not trying to be belligerant here, i just found from experience what works the best. the mt-90 really smooths out the 2nd to 1st downshift, ie: you don't have to come to an almost complete stop to make the shift.

i think you'll need slightly more than 3 qts though.

also, for the record, i used mtl in manual zf trannys on 92 vette zo-7 and 91 zr-1 and had no problems at all period.

99 leg l sedan 2.2l 5-sp anniv edition 75k miles

Okay, I will pretend to end the dino vs. synth argument!

Is it likely that Mother Nature many hundreds of thousands of years ago thought to herself: "Hmmm, shall I wipe out these trees with another forest fire? Or should I topple them into those mud holes and let them slowly degenerate into oil. Yes! Oil just perfect for lubricating the internal combustion engine which I will have some of my children create in 800,000 years. Hmmm....OK, mud holes it is!"

Or could it be that the creatures who invented the IC engine would know just what components to put into a lubricating fluid?