Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 outback recently tried new rotors new inner tie rod and new tires i still get a wild shaking in the steering wheel when i brake. could this play be coming from the rack? the car has 265,000 on it ball joints check good bushings look good car drives strait doesent pull just shakes when braking.

sirtokesalot,

Issues with shaking while braking usually come down to warped rotors. Either the hub surface was not cleaned up of rust and the rotors aren't sitting squarely on the hub, the pads and rotors were not properly "bedded in" when installed and have glazed over in spots, the slide pins weren't freed up and lubricated during the install, or the calipers are partially seized in their bores. Or a combination of all of them. Less suspect, but possible is an ABS system triggering.

Steering rack issues include hard, jerking steering, but nothing related to making the car shake when the brakes are used.

assuming its not the rotors....I prefer a thorough brake job with cleaned and regreased slides and new pad clips which are usually built up bent or corroded in the rust belt. They hang pads.

Check ball joints, control arm, bolts for play or sheared captive nuts.

Do symptoms change at all with speed or turning verses straight ?

assuming its not the rotors....I prefer a thorough brake job with cleaned and regreased slides and new pad clips which are usually built up bent or corroded in the rust belt. They hang pads.

Check ball joints, control arm, bolts for play or sheared captive nuts.

Do symptoms change at all with speed or turning verses straight ?

it stays the same when turning vs strait the front drivers side hub and rotor was replaced before i bought the car and were visually in new condition but was missing the abs tone ring i replaced the passenger front rotor. i also found the abs fuse was missing when i bought it you make me wonder about the abs but it does not feel like abs.i have checked ball joints and control arm bushings today when i replaced the passenger inner tie rod because it had play. the faster i go the more it will shake when i touch the brake. i can say the pins were not seized 3 months ago when i had the left side apart and the right side was not seized when i did that rotor last month.

spent some time looking for that topic but i cannot locate it. had it back int he garage today checked the pins again they are moving freely the pads are not stuck ither also did tire rotation just to rule out it being a possible bent wheel issue is still there. i havent tried removing the abs fuse yet.

• 1 year later...

Sirtokesalot,

Colorado here, we have a similar shaking issue (and it's not our toking that's doing it) we've replaced brakes pads/rotors, struts, tires, power steering pump, etc.....  Did you ever figure this one out?

Edited by iriejedi

7 minutes ago, iriejedi said:

Sirtokesalot,

Colorado here, we have a similar shaking issue (and it's not our toking that's doing it) we've replaced brakes pads/rotors, struts, tires, power steering pump, etc.....  Did you ever figure this one out?

If struts, brakes and bearings are good then it has to be something between the hub and chassis.  

If you pay close attention can you almost sense that it’s on the left or right?  That’ll give a good starting point.  

Check:

ball joints

tie rods

rack bushings - I’ve seen these cause a delayed steering - you turn and there’s a very slight delay before the vehicle reacts to the steering wheel as the rack shifts and takes up the slack from the degarded bushings  

if you dont have that rack slop and you think bearings are good and you can’t diagnose it - it seems likely this will be fixed by replacing the control arm, ball joint, and tie rod on the suspect side.  And hope your capture nuts aren’t broken  

ive seen broken capture nuts for the control arms cause vibration only while braking.  Nasty freaking repair.

Control arm bushings - partcularly if you have a 2005+ EJ

7 minutes ago, iriejedi said:

Sirtokesalot,

59 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

rack bushings - I’ve seen these cause a delayed steering - you turn and there’s a very slight delay before the vehicle reacts to the steering wheel as the rack shifts and takes up the slack from the degarded bushings  

idosubaru,

Thank you for this tip, I had not thought about the bushings. My guess is you're correct and I am going to try this next. Everything else has been replaced (ball joints, rack, wheel bearings, struts, etc) and when I had originally bought it the previous owner had been driving on blown out struts for some time.

Edited by iriejedi

I really doubt steering bushings would be so bad they cause vibration while braking but no other symptoms.  But they’re at least cheap and easy  

The replaced parts could be the issue. Poor quality parts or misstep in installation. 

Were all of those parts installed strictly because of the shaking, or were they previously replaced so you’re just assuming those can’t be problematic?

Edited by idosubaru

Well the car I am talking about is a 2002 Outback wagon... The tires, brakes, and struts were replaced (not all at the same time) because they were worn out. The ball joints and wheel bearings were replaced because I thought it would fix the issue after the above items didn't. The rack and pump were leaking and simply was replaced along with everything in time somewhere. Always there's been a shaking issue.

I've see this exact same issue on a friends 2013 Forester xt although she has done brakes struts wheel bearings and tires due to wear she has not yet done her rack and pinion, although it is leaking. Very confusing on both vehicles hence why I'm here.

Oh and elaborate on what you mean by misaligned brakes when installing? I've done is zillion brake jobs on different cars, Subaru's included. 

I'm going to try those bushings next. I honestly think the last owner simply destroyed them with worn out struts. The rear lateral link bushings I had to replace right of the bat when I bought the car because it squeaked so much.

Do you feel it in the driver's seat bottom when you first brake?  If so it's the rear brake rotors.  I've had a couple Subaru's do this.  

Hard to track down unless you know about it.

s do this.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, iriejedi said:

Sirtokesalot,

nope. ive done the lower ball joints and inner/outer tie rods rotors brakes ive come to the thoght that maby its play in the steering rack it does have slight up down movement in it. i have another rack but haven't put it in yet been lazy with it and just driving it like that.

Edited by sirtokesalot

Does the shake get worse the harder you push the brake?  As in proportional to the push effort?

Have you taken it to a newly paved road and tried this at various speeds?

Am I correct that you have one wheel with ABS tone ring on it and another front wheel without it?  I would check and make sure there aren't some random parts still hanging around from the broken tone ring (although you would think this would make it shake all the time..not just when braking)

NH