Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best engine temps for 1998 Subaru Legacy L (2.2 liter)

I had my timing belt and water pump a week ago. I noticed that the engine temperature is running hotter than before. After consulting a couple of boards I am comfortable that everything is OK. But I still have a question.

The engine temperature is from a Automatic plugged into the engine diagnostic port and then read from OBD Fusion on my iPhone.

Before the engine normally ran at 178º to the low to mid 180sº on highway driving. In local driving I would see 180s and 190s, occasionally going a little over 200 sometimes at a long red light.

After the timing belt and water pump change the lowest temp I see once the engine is warmed up is 189º. The water pump's temperature gauge was replaced and mechanics I know said it is normal for newer gauges to not open up until it reads 190º. The car is running smoothly and the MPG is similar to before. Coolant level is fine. I make the same drive, mostly highway driving, every Saturday so I have a good comparison. MPG was own a little but traffic was more congested than usual.

Is it better for the engine to be running in the 190s than the 180s most of the time? And in setting up the Fusion OBD, at what temperature should the red line start?

Due to an overheating incident last year I keep my eye on engine temps, but this is probably more of a compulsion than a rational reaction after a year with no problems.

Was the thermostat changed?? That affects temperature most of all. If so, see the picture above. If changed, I hope a quality Subaru thermostat was installed, not a cheapie after market unit. The cheapie unit will not work as well.

I will look into it. My mechanic doesn't do cheapie stuff and is quite good. So I'm not worried but will check on it. No one is perfect.

Could be air in the cooling system. An ex gf had a VW Bug with the 1.8Lt engine, and that thing was a nightmare to purge out the air. In that engine's case, it ran hotter until the air was fully purged.

This was also mentioned to me. Might take some time since I drive usually once a week. I've been getting various advice and it was suggested to me that when the engine ran at 182º it might have been running too cold and the current temps are better for the engine. That was what I was wondering about.

Someone also suggested that the engine could run up to 245º before being in danger  :Flame: but I don't think I ever want to see it get that hot. My impression was that the engine is fine at 210º but I wanted the opinion of Subaru experts.

My 95' 2.2L runs dead center of the stock gauge, and never seems to go above that regardless of outside temps, and fairly certain it's running a stock t-stat.

I'd try purging yours and see if any air escapes. Sometimes all it takes is one big bubble.