Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC in my 2001 Outback 3.0 VDC wagon puts out a lot of very cold air, BUT the air only comes out thru the windshield vents and the vents ABOVE the side vents, which put out only minimal flow. NOTHING flows thru the two center vents. What/where might be the problem?

landdolphe,

Its been too many years since my 97 OBW LTD and then my 2002 OBW LTD to remember whether your generation OB had vacuum or motor operated HVAC flapper doors in the heater assembly. Regardless, the actuator (vacuum or electrically operated) is not functioning properly. It may be that the switch between the modes is bad, or that you have a vacuum leak (split hose, if so operated), or that the flapper door has hung up, stripped a gear, or the motor is bad.

None of this is difficult to fix, but .. it is awkward to get at (lying upside down on the floor under the dash, after removing some of the center console trim to get at it if necessary) not fun to do, but it is a  diyer fix if you have the tools, time, and expertise. A good independent mechanic should set it right in short order otherwise. Good Luck!