Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale igntion cylinder removal

93 Loyale wagon manual

I'm rekeying all my locks on the car. The ignition lock is the only issue. I have removed the ignition from the column and now need to remove the barrel. I have researched(similar)barrel removal, and found that you need to put key in Acc postion and push the pin on the side and it should release. Now I should say that the like cylinders are Toyota... they look exactly like Subaru. Is there some trick to get it to release? I appreciate any help.

I've read everywhere ya got to drill the heads off the security torque screw/star shaped.. and or cut a line across the screw head for a flathead screw driver then replace them with a regular fastener screw when re-installing..

I'm about to get into that rat race myself.. my key is a basically a chewed up then smoothed out popsicle stick.. can barley make out the numbers.. at times it falls out over bumps railroad crossings... I gots the 5spd so I need not kill it; )

Edited by Len Dawg

I've read everywhere ya got to drill the heads off the security torque screw/star shaped.. and or cut a line across the screw head for a flathead screw driver then replace them with a regular fastener screw when re-installing..

I'm about to get into that rat race myself.. my key is a basically a chewed up then smoothed out popsicle stick.. can barley make out the numbers.. at times it falls out over bumps railroad crossings... I gots the 5spd so I need not kill it; )

Yes, super easy to remove to breakaway bolts. Use a dremel and it's cake! Make sure to reduce to diameter of the cutting wheel, so you dont cut into the top plate. Only takes small amount of pressure and bolts turn easy. I found a great resource for the wafers to rekey locks. They sell coded and and uncoded locks. It is best to call and confirm part numbers with them.

http://hemitchell.com/

Business Hours:

Monday - Friday:

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST

12845 NE Airport Way

Portland, OR 97230

E-Mail:

orders@hemitchell.com

Phone:

800-626-5625

503-236-9444