Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help finding shim bucket size

On my Ej255 heads for cylinder 1 the exhaust valve is a little tight. trying to figure out the whole how to get the right shim bucket ordered if I can't mix and match.. my exhaust valves are tight on the passenger head for cylinder 1 the spec is 0.30 mm +/- 0.5 mm

Right now for that exhaust valve only a 0.18 mm feeler fits under the cam lobe base what i'm getting at is how to find out the correct cam I need to order?

I don't 100% get how the FSM is trying to find out the replacement bucket..

OK so this is what I have..

0.16 mm is what I checked which clears with the bucket that was installed.. under the bucket was "499" It's measurement is 4.96 mm going by what they say I need a shim that's now 5.11 mm??

wont that be a thicker shim which would further unseat the valve from the head?
Edited by 1-3-2-4

To increase clearance: use a thinner shim.

To decrease clearance: use a thicker shim.

Take the clearance spec, subtract the current clearance, this gives you the change necessary to obtain the correct clearance.

Measure the center of the current shim (where the valve stem makes contact) with a caliper. Subtract the change from the measurement of the current shim.

So your shim measures 4.96 and you need .02mm more clearance, you need a 4.94 shim.

If the shim says 499 but measures 496, compare the measurement of that shim with others and see if you get the same difference among the others. Those shims can wear a bit, especially where the valve stem makes contact.