Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3d Gen Wagon Drip Rail Trim

Hey all! I have an '87 GL 4WD wagon, and it's in great shape. Unfortunately, the plastic inside the metal drip rail trim (that long strip that runs up the A-pillar and over the doors and rear window toward the back hatch) disintegrated. I bought new clips for it, but there was nothing for them to grab onto, because the trim piece's plastic liner was gone back there. Of course, the first wind storm that came along grabbed the loose back end of the trim and folded it over toward the front of the car. 

So now I have a bent trim piece and no way to attach it to the drip rail. Two questions:

1. Has anyone dealt with this problem before, and if so, how did you fix it?

2. Does anyone know where to get the trim piece and, more importantly (because I think I can re-shape the bent part of the trim strip), the inner plastic lining for the trim?

Thanks,

Ben

post-22437-0-45325400-1493907111_thumb.jpg

post-22437-0-37730800-1493907114_thumb.jpg

Like so many trim pieces, they were designed to be pressed on at the factory and that's it.

They were never designed to be taken off, repaired, ect...   These cars were never intended to be restored.

If you do find a donor car to grab the drip rails off of, they will also most likely be destroyed in the removal process.

However.....every problem has a solution.

I have fixed drip rails by fabricating my own attachment hardware, I also beef it up for attaching cargo rails.

You just need to get creative.