Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket and timing belt service info please

08 Outback 97K miles. non turbo

Planning on doing a routine TB maintenance to include the HGs since there was a mysterious overheat/low coolant a few months ago and yesterday noticed the coolant level was really low.

Wife was driving in both instances and I think the coolant was pushed back out the overflow container.

Wife was away on business trip and stopped by dealer for a quick look and they did a coolant pressure test which was negative for leaks. Didn't test for gasses.

Anyway, I have come to accept that HGs should be considered "routine maintenance" item.

Have a few questions:

1. Is the accepted wisdom to use the genuine Subaru turbo gaskets even though car is non-turbo?

2. Is there a kit that is considered reliable for the tensioner and all of the other rollers and sprocket or is the tensioner best genuine Subaru

3. Same question for kit with water pump?

4. If I get a kit, still only use Subaru timing belt?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Rock auto?

Edited by brus brother

All 97+ Subarus are interference.

Subaru OEM is best for timing stuff. I use Gates kits but some question the quality. The Import Experts used to supply great kits but I haven't bought one in at least 5 years I don't think.

Subaru headgasket. I think you'd need to hear from unbiased we'll versed shop owners/techs (GD, Crawler Dan, GLoyale) about the efficacy of turbo heads on nonturbo blocks over and above the regular OEM gasket. I've done a lot of EJ head gaskets for a DIY person but my experience is still anecdotal. If you're really worried about it I would search from comments from them over waiting for anecdotal comments from folks that have only done 10 or so.

I'm pretty sure Crawlerdan has used hundreds of Fel Pro kits, as have others, with excellent results.

Resurface the heads. If the shop is set up to do it (rarely) resurface the block too

Aisin is the OEM water pump and available aftermarket. Gasket OEM but I feel like the Aisin pump I just bought came with it.

I used the fel pro head gasket set because it's a multi layer steel gasket unlike to single layer OEM gasket which then uses a coating to get proper sealing.

But I know people on these forums' have used the OEM turbo gasket and they've worked.

08 Outback 97K miles. non turbo

Planning on doing a routine TB maintenance to include the HGs since there was a mysterious overheat/low coolant a few months ago and yesterday noticed the coolant level was really low.

Wife was driving in both instances and I think the coolant was pushed back out the overflow container.

Wife was away on business trip and stopped by dealer for a quick look and they did a coolant pressure test which was negative for leaks. Didn't test for gasses.

Anyway, I have come to accept that HGs should be considered "routine maintenance" item.

Have a few questions:

1. Is the accepted wisdom to use the genuine Subaru turbo gaskets even though car is non-turbo?

2. Is there a kit that is considered reliable for the tensioner and all of the other rollers and sprocket or is the tensioner best genuine Subaru

3. Same question for kit with water pump?

4. If I get a kit, still only use Subaru timing belt?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Rock auto?

I would only use Subaru parts. Even "Gates Timing Kits" are now putting a few "China" bearing in there "All Japan Kits" which is a BS in my opinion.

I was unlucky, have only owned my 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited for only one month, and the car having 99,255 on it.  I was considering doing the work, but I waited to long.  The Tensioner Bolt snapped,  (Who ever owned the car before me always took it to a Non-Subaru place for repairs, I believe they used a impact wrench/or over torqued the bolt, and the tensioner was leaking.... It bent all 4 intake valve.  I am also putting a new Radiator, Water Pump, Thermostat, Oil Pump 11mm, New Subaru Head Gaskets, Head Bolts.  Don't take a chance