Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 Tribeca spark plug replacement

I need to perform a routine tune up on my wife's 2011 Tribeca and don't see an easy way to access the spark plugs?? Call me crazy or blind...

My other question is regarding transmission fluid change. Do you recommend dropping the pan and replacing the filter or just performing a flush of the trans?

I look forward to your input.

Edited by Fatbuford

If it has the external spin on filter, change that. 

The internal filters aren't even filters, they're just screens and are pointless to replace. 

H6 spark plugs are tricky. You can google it, there are multiple ways to attack it but bottom line is there isn't much room between the valve covers and frame rails.

A.  some people juggle various size extensions and sockets and pulling some from the top and some from the bottom. 

B.  some people unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up for better access (there's only 2 14mm nuts on the bottom holding the engine in place so it's not hard). 

C.  the spark plugs are easy to replace with the valve covers removed.  Since the VCG's (valve cover gaskets) aren't likely to make 250,000 miles anyway, I usually just do both at the same time and check the valve clearance.  Makes spark plug changes easy. 

If you're going to own the vehicle 200,000 or so miles - you'll basically typically need plugs and VCG's once.  Might as well do them at the same time and check valve clearance while you're at it.  H6's rarely need valve adjustments, but it does rarely happen. 

The older H6 plugs look almost perfect after 100,000 miles and easily surpass those mileages.  If I had a new H6 and they have the same plugs as the older ones I'd probably just leave them until 125,000 miles and change the spark plugs and VCG's at the same time. 

• Like 1

Great. Her car has 74K and runs great, I just figured it was time to replace them. I'll wait! The transmission on the Tribeca has no external filter, so I'll have the dealer flush it rather than draining and filling on my driveway.

Thanks for the info!

The service interval on those plugs is supposed to be 60k miles. But I wouldn't worry about getting closer to 100.

The way the techs here do it, is from underneath. Most spark plug sockets are just the right length so the ratchet will be placed right between the head and the frame rail. This, obviously, is much easier the higher you can safely get the car off the ground.

I've lifted the engine on a couple DOHC 4-cyl engines (similar plug placement), and that worked fairly well. I had to remove a couple things for access, but it was reasonable.

Tribeca's all just use a strainer in the transmission, no filter like there always was. A drain and fill is certainly a good idea. It will probably take about 4 quarts (I recommend having 5 handy when you start the job). They call for Subaru HP ATF. I think there are some aftermarket ATFs that meet the specification. MSRP on the genuine stuff is $6.72/qt, so don't pay more than that.