Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big lift on a daily driver?

Rallyru

Is anybody running 6+ inches of lift on a daily? Or something that sees frequent highway use? How well does it handle it? I drive 60 miles a day at 55+ to work and need to know it can be done. I need more clearance for the bigger tires haha. 6inches + ej weight is just a hair too short for 30's. Thanks in advance

The thing that would hurt you would be if you have any suspension lift because the CV's are running at a steeper angle on the highway they would fail even sooner.A welded rear diff also puts stress on parts.Beyond that if you lifted it so the suspension geometry is the same you could be running a lift tall enough that the top of the engine is below the body and it would still be fine.In that case it might have more body roll than normal because of the massive change in C.O.G.

but if you drive 60 miles a day, why not pick up something like a geo metro and save the wear and tear on the vehicles that matter.

That explains why I kept blowing cv axles with 2 inches of suspension lift and the 30's. I lowered it back down and they seem to be doing ok. I'll have to keep that in mind when I make my next lift kit. I wouldn't be caught dead in a geo haha but a different daily would definitely be in my best interest

I dont' play offroad but aftermarket axles don't last at all for me, i've had them click right out of the box multiple times and blow up twice, and always fail in short order.  OEM Subaru axles I've never had fail one time with a 2" lift.  granted I don't beat them up like you offroad guys do, but avoiding aftermarket is a big plus for a daily driver at least.