Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 Baja.  Not the cool turbo model I see many pics of people upgrading.  I got oil leaks fixed (new seals/gaskets) 2 years ago @ 140K.  It has 170K on it.  I love the car - the functionality, the simplicity, reliability in winter, the sporty looks, and it really doesn't cost me much to maintain (other than the leak fix).  The body is in GREAT shape and I get compliments all the time  but the engine is has been getting louder - ticks, clacks - and I think half the noise is due to low oil use.  I recently discovered that I am going through a quart of oil about every fill up.  I do not see blue tailpipe smoke and like I said, it no longer leaks oil in my driveway.  Regardless, it drinks oil.  I have tried motor honey, STP, Lucas, and now I run 20W-50 + STP.  It is going to die on me someday.  I need a rebuild or buy a new car.

I AM SICK over the thought of losing my Baja and buying a new car.  I do not think I will be happy with a fancy Outback or Crosstrek.  I really enjoy the El Camino function of my car.  I can live neat, clean, and odor free on the inside, while I throw dirty things in the back and forget about them.  Stinky fishing stuff & grass clippings, firewood with ants, I have also carried around a shovel for removing road kill on backroads before they get messy from other cars.  I drive a lot of rural roads.  I also own a rusty Dakota - my 3rd Dakota.  They all fall apart, paint gets sun baked, rust out, nickel & dime me to death, but engines keep on running.  So I am not in need of a truck.

There is really no option out there that I am happy with other than my Baja.  Is a non-turbo model worth putting money into?  If so, what kind of upgrades are easily added?  Example: higher clearance and bigger wheels like the current Outbacks?  I need a new exhaust system.  An aftermarket system that doesn't sound like a highschool kid's Weedeater coffee can muffler.  Time to rebuild tranny too?  I do not want to do the work.  My days of fixing & hot rodding cars is over.  I wish I could take it to a one-stop shop or one of those hot rod/pimp my ride shows on TV..  but I do not want to look like a pimp when it's done:)

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to repair it.

From what I've seen of Bajas for sale up here, they seem to command a premium. I've been casually watching for some time, as my wife wants one something fierce, and I'd love to swap the 3.0 VDC drivetrain and such from our Outback into it.

Definitely more people looking than selling. Even if you're paying a shop to do it, it would probably be cheaper to repair it than buy another one, but depending how you do it, possibly not by much.

There are a few options for engine replacement. Junkyards get a premium for those SOHC 2.5s. When you call a  yard and tell them you need a Subaru 2.5 engine, you can almost hear they're eyes light up into dollar signs. I have occasionally seen private party used ones going for $500 or so, but not very often.

In Japan, they got a 2.0 SOHC non-turbo engine that was much more reliable. And due to their emissions or safety inspections, many of these cars get parted out with very low mileage. I can reliably buy a 50k mile engine for less than $1000. These are basically a direct drop-in. But talk to the repair shop your thinking of using first, as they may not be willing to deal with that.

Or, Subaru sells remanufactured short blocks. They tend to be about $2k, and come with an oil pan, oil pump, water pump, and thermostat. Another $300 or so, and you can get a complete OE engine gasket set. Make sure the heads are sent out to a good machine shop to check the valve seals and guides (if it hasn't overheated, they probably aren't warped), and you'll basically have a new engine.

It's also possible to rebuild the engine if things aren't scored to badly, but this relies more heavily on the skill of the mechanic, and I probably wouldn't recommend that unless it's a Subaru specialty shop.

+1 to all the above  ....And do you have any trusted/recommended Subie mechanics in your area? That's the place to get it done right....not the dealer.

Search on here/online for upgrades, lifts, etc. There was a lifted Baja on ebay a few weeks back that was 'bada$$' but was WAY overpriced. 

They do seem to be holding their own in value, but that may be for the low-mileage gems.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to repair it.

It's also possible to rebuild the engine if things aren't scored to badly, but this relies more heavily on the skill of the mechanic, and I probably wouldn't recommend that unless it's a Subaru specialty shop.

Agreed that only the OP can decide. Rebuilding is not only dependent on a qualified mechanic but not cost effective for the mechanics most qualified. (What I mean is the Subaru specialty mechanic will charge most.)

As far as an absolute and objective financial value, no you can't rebuild it for what it's worth (or maybe just barely) but that's not the whole point. My in-laws have '16/'17 Imprezza, forester, and outback and I had an Imprezza as a loaner while the dealership did the airbag recall. Quite frankly, F that. I've always been a bit of a Luddite when it comes to cars but I'll rebuild my Baja several times over faced with those as the alternative. It's not just how much you spend vs the car's blue book value, it's how much you spend vs what you'd spend on another car, tax, registration, and an extra thousand on hand for the first couple things that break that you won't know because you don't know the car's history. Automotively speaking, I'll take the devil I know 9 times out of 10.

I put a Jasper reman'd motor in my 2000 Forester a little over a year ago and have been pretty happy with it. It came with the timing belt, water pump, oil pan, can't remember if I had to use the old valve covers or not. Came with a 3 year, 100k mike warranty. Similar price to the remans from elsewhere.

As to is it worth it, that's entirely up to you on how much you like it. Sounds like it probably would be with what you're describing, but I'd get some prices and decide from there.

The great thing about Subaru EJ engines is that the pistons are easily pulled and the rings replaced by simply pulling the heads.

No need to disturb the rods or mains.  They are robust and if you've changed your oil regularly are likely still in good shape.

So head gaskets, rings, resurface?, and reassemble.  

Baja's will be like Brats in 10-20 years.......Crazy valuable and collectable.  The Baja already is somewhat like that now.......Definately "Worth it"