Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How cool would it be if Subaru made a small pickup/ute based on the Ascent? Honda has had success with the Ridgeline, so why couldn't Subaru with an Ascent truck? The Baja failed pretty hard because it was just too weird and quirky, aesthetically. However, I think the Ascent is big enough and truck-shaped enough to pull it off.

I don't need a "real" truck almost ever, but I make use of my BRAT's bed all the time. If I could have that same versatility in a vehicle, but with a few more seats (on the inside!) better than 75HP and modern safety equipment, I'd buy it in a minute.

What do you guys think?

Edited by jmoss5723
  • Like 1

No offese to GD, but did some # crunching on one of the 'Auto Sales Data' sites and the mid-size trucks are doing OK. See attached.

You can't  (fairly) compare to the full-size Ford/Chevy/Dodge as they're in a league of their own. Even the 3rd place Dodge Ram sold almost 500,000 trucks in 2016.

The Tundra and Titan are even behind the mid-size trucks. I'm surprised the Titan is still around.

As noted, the Tacoma is still King, but the updated Colorado/Canyon are not that far behind.

The Ford Ranger is due to return, which will likely  put a dent in the others' #'s.

The Ridgeline IS in a sub-category/niche all its own, although it's considered a 'truck', and its buyers may be a unique group. The newly updated version is still selling well early in '17.

But I agree that Subaru would be reluctant to re-enter that market unless they can do something w/broader appeal to the masses. Based on their current success, w/sales increasing year-over-year for the approx. the last 6 years, up 3% in 2015, and 11% in 2016, I don't see them changing their focus on gaining ground in the strong SUV/CUV markets. Last I read they were having some issues keeping up w/demand (cars101.com).

The main issue, I see, is that the economy really dictates how well a niche model sells. Buyers are more open to spending $$ on something that may not be mainstream when they're not worried about paying the mortgage/losing their home in the next 6-months.

You wouldn't see the Hellcat/Demon, Focus RS, Ford GT, Chevy SS (disco'd), possibly a new Supra, Civic Type R, Jeep truck (!), Hummer H1 return, etc, if the USA was in a Recession.

FWIW, Td

post-3804-0-63193800-1495225445_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

I dunno if they'd experience 'stellar' sales, but I have always maintained that there is an untapped decent market for even compact pick-ups.

whether as a commuter or a second-third car 'bomb around town' type vehicle. But it needs to LOOK like a pick-up truck, not an 'open back sedan'.

Something in the old Isuzu P'UP size up to mid-size might do OK. Offer it perhaps as an extended cab, make a 'sport' model too.

maybe use some BRZ parts (or other Toyota 2wd parts) for a 2WD model, offer AWD as well?

But, perhaps their Toyota board members don't want the competition?