Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big tires destroying cv's? Custom HD axles?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,838 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Where can I find them?

My work could order you a set. Call superior subie and import in Milwaukee.

#27 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

Talked to RCV about custom races and cages. Each piece would be $105 and the minimum order is 8. That's $420 to rebuild one axle...
I think I'm going to try Cardone axles repacked with redline grease and see where that gets me.

That sounds about right, it would probably be considerably less if you ordered 20-50 at a time.

You should definitely try OEM axles from a yard, go to car-part.com, most junkyards will ship to your house.

#28 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

And:

http://goworldparts....s_May-20151.pdf

That chart is great, thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised you could find something like that.  There's usually no reason for even the manufacturer to have that kind of information.  If someone wants an axle for a Camry, they make a copy of that.  It's very rare someone would say "I need an axle this length with these splines" and not know what it fits.  Also, keep in mind just because two CVs have the same number of spline teeth, those splines aren't necessarily the same, in fact they're probably not.  Also they are going to be different spline lengths, snapring styles, bearing and seal diameters, etc.  Not to rain on your parade, but it almost seems like engineers go out of their way to make things different than what already exists.

#29 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,478 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but it almost seems like engineers go out of their way to make things different than what already exists.

They do that to avoid patent and copyright issues from different manufacturers.

Parts companies in many cases legally must make each Auto companies parts different from each other to avoid patent issues.

#30 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Pretty sure NTN was, and still is the main axle manufacturer for most all Japanese automakers. I worked at a couple of Subaru/Nissan dealerships, and many of the the Nissan axle components I saw looked identical to Subaru. I realize that parts made by different manufacturers are purposely made different. But when one small manufacturer is supplying components to many automakers, most of the individual parts are the same. Mainly, in the case of axles, the cages, balls, and inner races, which spline to the halfshafts. So, it would make sense that a different length shaft out of another Japanese car would have the same splines as a Subaru of similar size. The outer CV cups will likely be different, as they have to mate to transmissions and hubs of different manufacturers. 

#31 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,478 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

Pretty sure NTN was, and still is the main axle manufacturer for most all Japanese automakers. I worked at a couple of Subaru/Nissan dealerships, and many of the the Nissan axle components I saw looked identical to Subaru. I realize that parts made by different manufacturers are purposely made different. But when one small manufacturer is supplying components to many automakers, most of the individual parts are the same. Mainly, in the case of axles, the cages, balls, and inner races, which spline to the halfshafts. So, it would make sense that a different length shaft out of another Japanese car would have the same splines as a Subaru of similar size. The outer CV cups will likely be different, as they have to mate to transmissions and hubs of different manufacturers. 

Parts from same company can be similar, and even share some internals and spine counts and all that.

But legally they can't sell something designed to the specs for subaru, to Toyota or Nissan.  It would be a violation of subaru's design patent.  The guts of the CV may be the same, but the axle length, hub design, trans design etc. must be different.

So some parts can be made to fit with others, because of the similarity's and spline counts etc....  But you won't find the exact same axle used between 2 companies (unless they have shared ownership like toyota/scion)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users