Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89XT6 is here

I am new here. I've owned several Subarus, including an '84 Brat, '85 GL, '06 and '07 Impreza sedans. I gave the '07 to my 18 year old son and miss it already. I currently own a 2017 Legacy and just picked up this amazingly clean '89 XT6.

Mechanically it is great, with 161k miles on the sweet sounding 2.7L H6.

xt6_zpsmzziaofq.jpg

xt6a_zpssjhr1cxf.jpg

• Like 2

The only thing I need to fix asap is the SUB FAN, the second electric cooling fan that sits in front of the ac compressor.  I gave the car a good stress test today.  Ran it while parked in 90 deg weather with the ac, wiper(nice thunder storm blew by) and lights on.  The main fan cycled on and off and kept the engine from overheating, but it did get hotter than usual.  Normally this 2.7 runs very cool.  The sub fan never came on.  The 20A fuse is fine.  I'll dig deeper soon and won't treat my little buddy so harshly until its fixed.

Edited by 89XT6

give fan 12 volts and see if the fan motor works (same plug as the other fan if you just want to swap as a test - but the bottom bolt pattern is different - one has one bolt,t he other has two). 

check relays on fender rail - passengers side i think are some relays.  i think they're all the same and you can just swap them to test. 

Thanks Elite Master! Will do, I have a feeling it's a bad relay or some type of wiring issue (broken wire, dirty connectors, bad ground). The entire ac system is only a few years old, it blows nice and cold. I'm assuming the associated fan/motors were checked when the system was restored. My mechanic will put the car on a lift for a free complete checkup soon. I'm good for now, it's not hot

here in northern NJ yet and the main fan keeps the 2.7 cool. This little coupe is in great shape. Picked it up for $3,000 after lots of $$$ put into it by the previous owner. The 2.7 is quiet and still young with only 162K miles... new injectors, timing belts,

head and valve cover gaskets and complete tune-up. Also restored before I grabbed it are the wiper motor and infamous Cybrid

electric PS pump. It even has the original exhaust and dual tip muffler. It has a very slight leak, maybe at the collector, but its not too loud, quiets down while cruising and I love it, you can tell it's not the usual H4 Subaru. It sounds like a Japanese big

block! It runs and drives great, no constant dashboard squeaks and the most important pieces of this car are restored to better thannew... drilled and slotted discs all around stop this thing easily.

Edited by 89XT6

• 2 weeks later...