Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjusting Front Differential settings in Brumby.

I have done the UNTHINKABLE. I have removed a Brumby gearbox that has been rattling in the front diff when i drive  . Appears to be on left. Jacked the front up and spun the wheels in first gear right front spun well, but left moved in spasms and rotated in slow stop start rotations.  Removed the box and extracted the differential roller bearings with great care. The front axle drive shafts have no bearings now.  Can I get away with heating and dropping in new  roller bearings and resetting the Axles Shaft holder . If so can I reset the Diff and how.  Trying to avoid breaking open the box. 

The procedure is very detailed in the factory service manual. You will have more people see this kind of question if you post it in the historic or older generation sub forum, depending on the year of your car.

Wrong forum. A moderator could move it.

I'd start by finding an EA81 FSM online for free.

Is this an MT or AT?

Are EA81 the same as EA82 front diff set ups?

Did you remove any parts that are adjustable or could affect t clearances? (EA82 and newer gens have a retaining ring that sets preload/backlash).

No one I can think of that posts regularly knows front diffs well enough to say. Gloyale has a few threads about front diffs and pics of his gauge set up for measuring clearances. Check that thread out.