Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leaky sunroof 2017 outback

2017 outback sunroof leak

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Subarufamily3

Subarufamily3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Lake city, Pennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

I recently purchased my 7th subaru and i am encountering something I've never dealt with, my sunroof leaks. It's 2017 outback. It has already been looked at 4 times by 2 different dealers. The sunroof has even been replaced by one of dealers and the constant drip returned and stayed after the it was opened (retracted back). Now I'm being told that the leak is acceptable and that's why there is a drain. No matter if it's misting out or I drive by a sprinkler, if water gets on my roof---gasket gets saturated,  it drips into my car--you can watch the drips flow into my car. also keep in mind the leak was reported on day 10 of owning, the dealerships have had it in their possession for 28days over the past 7weeks---over 1/3 of the mileage on this car from taking it to be maintained.  Has anyone else ever experienced this? Help I love my subaru's but I'm so over this already           

#2 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,426 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Wow. That's odd. Sorry to hear that. Send me a private message.

Where *exactly* is it leaking?
How do you know it's not the windshield?

***can you apply water to a specific drain or corner and isolate the leak?

Good news is sunroofs are really simple:

1. The sunroof is compromised in some way.
2. The drains aren't properly fixed to the sunroof
3. The drain lines are clogged or damaged

The entire sunroof assembly was replaced?

If sunroof was replaced - we can assume that rules out number 1.

Need to trace the leak to its source. Noting where it's leaking should tell us which corner and drain is leaking.

Check end connections of drains where they attach to sunroof.

Blow out drain hoses with compressed air.

Check drain lines for leaks (not sure how to check that but maybe plug end and add water.) after verifying end connections aren't leaking where they attach to sunroof.

Call SOA and get them involved. I can't imagine they'd

#3 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• 3,033 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

Sorry about your bad experience.  Definitely call SOA (Subaru of America) and get them involved.  Good luck.

#4 Subarufamily3

Subarufamily3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Lake city, Pennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

The sunroof is leaking directly in the back center at the gasket. The entire sunroof assembly was replaced. The leak returned once I opened the sunroof (glass retracted back). Now the leak is just like it was before the sunroof was replaced. I questioned if there could be something with the track that is causing the leak and that is when I was told that some sunroofs leak and my current leak is acceptable due to having draines built in to drain the water out of the car.

#5 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Unacceptable.

NO amount of water intrusion into the cabin is justifiable. This should be remedied by SOA. Speak loudly and clearly until someone listens. Demand a loaner until this fix this to you satisfaction.

If it cannot be fixed or you encounter resistance start litigation.

#6 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,426 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

1. Visit another dealer

2. Call SOA

that's your order of operations here. 

This is so weird - It's actually hard to believe they would call an internal cabin leak normal, that's so nutty it's hard to believe.

You don't have any antenna's or device running through the sunroof do you - i've seen those leak before?

#7 hoosieroutback

hoosieroutback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • New Albany, Indiana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

I'm having the same issue with my 2017 Outback, has your sunroof issue been fixed?  I've also been told that the leaking is normal???

#8 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,426 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

I posted the order of operations:

1. Work through dealer
2. Contact SOA or regional Subaru Resources.

There’s a significant chance of user error, previous poster never gave pictures or detailed info or followed up. Half the time these posts end up Like that.

#9 hoosieroutback

hoosieroutback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • New Albany, Indiana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

I've done all of the above all say it's normal drip pan is catching the water, but it was leaking on me as driving.

#10 gbhrps

gbhrps

20 Year Subie Fan

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Canada

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Gentlemen,

This is absolutely unacceptable ... and it is NOT normal, whatever those dealership service department heads are telling you! I've owned four different OBW's since 98, and not one of them has ever had sunroof leak. Not leaking is normal. You need to keep the pressure on them, firm but friendly, and if its not resolved to your satisfaction, turn to your state's lemon law.

Over the generations there was a problem with water being wicked into the overhead map lights (2nd generation). The problem then was a poor sealant job on the steel roof opening for the sunroof. Water would wick into cracks in the paint as the sealant aged and shrunk, and then found its way into the overhead map lights, to drip onto the driver/passenger legs on turns. The factory put out a TSB for that one way back in 2002 ?

#11 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 12,830 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

ALL SUNROOFS LEAK. It's just how they work, and that IS why there's a DRAIN under the panel.
There is no way to make a perfect seal around a sunroof unless you glue it shut.

If it's leaking out of the drain channel and getting into the headliner, or onto the sliding cover, then it's an issue. Otherwise, it's working as it should.

#12 hoosieroutback

hoosieroutback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • New Albany, Indiana

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

Don't understand the concept in all sunroofs leak, would you pay $35,000 for a car that the sunroof leaked I had beads of water all along the back of the sunroof drip pan or not there still should not be any water. My husband drives a 1999 Honda passport with a sunroof that has NOT leaked 1 time.

#13 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,668 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

dealers are often afraid to proceed on something odd so, contacting SOA is the best approach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users