Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just purchased a 2003 4 door sedan. Has OUTBACK and LIMITED and LEGACY on the outside...and inside has heated leather seats, electric driver seat, cruise control, A/C, electric windows/door locks.....and a SPOILER ON THE BACK!

I thought I knew what an Outback was...but this is not a hatchback wagon. This is not an LL Bean, I've seen those. The owner's manual was printed for generic Subaru's...and does not name the model or paint color. 

It has a smashed left front (driver's side) fender and headlight assembly and I want to order one off Ebay, or somewhere, but I'd like to make sure it will fit and is the correct color. The car is off white (not white) and google says there was a color in 2003 called "White Frost Pearl". Does anyone agree this is the color name? Sorry, don't have pics yet.

I also need a front bumper, unless there's some trick to cleaning tire rubber off of the plastic. Maybe what I need is called a "Bumper Cover".  Perhaps some of the supporting structure under the bumper is also damaged.

I bet there are posts here which would be helpful.

Thanks

Sounds like you bought an outback sedan. The outback is basically a legacy with raised suspension and some aesthetic options. Most outbacks are wagons, but they did make some outback sedans. 

Yep, agreed, it is an Outback sedan. I have seen a few around.

You can also tell it's an Outback by the Headlights, since you said you needed one.

The Legacy has a single dual element bulb.

The Outback has a low beam H1 bulb and separate 9005 High beam bulb in the lower part of the headlight.

IIRC, the Outback also has foglights, the Legacy sedan did not.

It should also have an SUS badge on the rear, Sport Utility Sedan

Edited by ferret

Many different catalogs list them differently. But technically, Legacy is the model, and Outback and Limited are trim levels. This page is already linked here, but this will take you specifically to the section that refers to the Limited, VDC, and LL Bean option levels. http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2003.html#03features

For the purpose of finding front body parts, 2000-2004 Legacy Outback stuff will all fit.

It wasn't until 2010 that they made the Outback exclusively a wagon, and Legacy exclusively a sedan.

I think technically only the 97 and 98 ones are called an SUS, then they called it the outback sedan afterwards.

99 as well.

OK, now I know to call it an Outback Limited Sedan, and that '02 through '04 Legacy front body parts will fit. I need a driver's side front fender, and a headlight assembly. These were damaged in a wreck and the car was totaled by the insurance company before I bought it. The DMV says we have to submit to a rigorous safety inspection before it can be registered...So I am looking for an inexpensive fender which is already the correct color. I've heard I need to call a Subaru dealer with the vin number and they can look up the paint code...but I also ran across something listing "White Frost" as a color for 2003 Outback Limited Sedans. Somewhere else the color is called "White Frost Pearl".

Anyone think I will be able to find a replacement left front fender in the correct color? Any suggestions on how to go about locating such a fender?

Thank You.

You want to use outback body parts, not legacy body parts. Outbacks have a different front bumper, headlights, and fenders. Legacy body panels will physically fit, but they have different trim, it'll look funny.

You can use https://www.copart.com/ or http://row52.com/ to find junkyards that have the parts you're looking for. You can also buy the parts from subaru and have a body shop paint them the correct colour.

Edited by 987687
  • Like 1

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2003.html

Outback limited sedan.

Paint color code is on the metal tag on top of the drivers side strut tower.

Cleaner wax will take the rubber off the bumper.

You'll have to remove the bumper to get to the bottom screws on the fender to remove that so you'll be able to see once the bumper is removed if any other brackets are bent. Usually the bumper brackets can be straightened well enough and put back on without needing to be replaced.

Just look at the paint code stamped on the plate. Easy.

Car-part.com for matching parts

I've never called one place that would ship a fender so find one close is usually required.

Sift through all five years of 00-04 and look at the colors offered on cars101 to look for changes. The dark red changes for instance, 00-01 are not the same as 02-04.

outback sedan I've got two in my driveway, helped a friend buy a white one, seen a bunch.

Ask someone who's done it before how "rigorous" it really is in your state. Some states are very thorough and a work out, some are a insanely easy and nearly impossible to fail unless you try or are lazy bones, but all are set up to seem and sound "rigorous".

OK...I've got the paint code off tag by the strut tower...Now I'm trying to locate a used fender in the correct color (to avoid paying to have a new or a used one painted) and am wondering how to find a part number for a fender. With the year and model of the car, there is still some confusion out there concerning Outback vs Legacy vs Limited. If I am going to order something, or drive very far to pick it up, I'd like some way to be sure it will fit...and that it is the right color.  I doubt the color code is anywhere on the fender...but perhaps the fender part number includes the color?

You're probably limited by the particular yard, ask each independently for the color code or to send a picture.

I already told you to look through all 00-04 outbacks for color codes and names. Cars101.com

If there's no variation then you have nothing to worry about - all 00-04 Outbacks in white will work.

Legacy won't have the cladding and often varies with those side mouldings or strips and such.

Edited by grossgary