Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25D DOHC Timing Belt Write-up?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good write up on a TB change for the EJ25D? I searched a bit and i couldn't come up with anything complete, just random individual tips and tricks.

I've done a handful of SOHC belts, so I'm not exactly a novice, but I'd like to learn what I can before diving in.

they're easy, exactly the same as SOHC, exact same parts except the belt is longer - all you need are these pictures of the cam marks:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/154659-97-dohc-ej25-timing-marks-with-cam-pin/

Other than those two cam sprockets and the additional marks to line them up to each other - they're just like the SOHC, same exact timing/pulleys/tensioner bracket attachment/oilpump/water pump parts except the belt is longer and two cams each side, that's it.  

get the FSM.  there's probably endwrench articles on it but i've never looked. 

the pulleys aren't metal so don't leverage against them or hold them with metal tools not properly fitted/placed/sized.  they will crack.

Remove serpentine belt, crank pulley, timing covers just like any other Subaru. 

Then it's exactly like any other EJ timing belt except the two cams. 

Line up the cams like picture above and it's absolutely identical to SOHC EJ engines. 

Also, all the DOHC EJ engines  - NON-AVCS* - should be the same. So, the turbo engines (EJ205, EJ20G) DIY on NASIOC, etc. for the WRX will also be a good reference.

AS NOTED, the cams must be rotated a speciific direction as this is a fully interference engine. The LH (USA driver's) side are the finicky ones, IIRC. They llike to turn w/out much provocation while setting the T-belt.

Remember to 'count your teeth'...2x+ to ensure you're 'belted in'.

GL,

TD

*I've never attempted an AVCS/adjustable vavle Tbelt job so can't comment.

Edited by wtdash

I recently did the T belt on our DOHC AVCS Impreza - the only issue I had was holding the LH inlet cam pulley in place (it would NOT stay in position) - I had to make a tool to hold the pulley while I got the belt on - a piece of wood with three bolts through it to fit the shape of the pulley and a piece of wire tied off to the body - worked well - I also replaced all the idlers - tensioner and waterpump - genuine Subaru parts - and oh yes I made a tool to hold the harmonic balancer to undo - retighten the bolt - I marked where it was and tightened it just a bit more than that - with oil on the threads and washer face - you do NOT want that bolt to come undone - also it is important to tension all bolts to the recommended torque - I did except for the harmonic balancer as in the workshop manual it lists 3 different bolts and tensioning techniques but there was no part number on the bolt ?? good luck.