Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TheGageinator's 1992 Loyale build

Im starting a

build on my 2nd old body wagon. First was this beast 1987 GL

5571_1098215782220_3531673_n.jpg

It was my 2nd car ever. I wish I knew what lift was on it exactly. I think it is now in Canada, and it now has a snow plow on it. I sold it 10 years ago to get enough money to buy my brother his first car for his birthday.

This is my latest project! 1992 Subaru Loyale

I am the 2nd owner. The original owner put 307k miles on it. It spent its life in Colorado for the most part. Its in Texas with me now. The engine was rebuilt 2 years ago. It runs awesome except for a jumpy idle. The car was VERY well taken car of. He used Liqui Moly Racing oil haha. 10w-60. Flawless interior. Newish TINY tires on it now. 175/70r13.

post-66938-0-38226200-1503262220_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-02578300-1503262236_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-86682000-1503262257_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-34790300-1503262271_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-16720100-1503262292_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-63966700-1503262310_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-51262200-1503262327_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-13757800-1503262344_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-58167800-1503262368_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheGageinator
  • Like 3

Pics after the lift

The previous owner cut open the top of the Catalytic converter and gutted it. Then welded it shut. It now has a terrible echo sound that i cant stand. OE style replacement parts are too expensive. Have any of you replaced the cat with a y-pipe before? i found this that i may be able to bend and weld in place. Post some pictures if you have done this before!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41356?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-walker-exhaust&gclid=CjwKEAjwu4_JBRDpgs2RwsCbt1MSJABOY8anSCDDxnc69j2-5ICfcKFrVjm-KCNe1Hh0x6Stm4OgrBoCJvHw_wcB

post-66938-0-85068400-1503263042_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-61562800-1503263060_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheGageinator
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hunting down an issue. It is a misfire through the rpm range that is not very bad. It seems to affect the idle also. After the cold start idle, the idle will go up and down. It will sometimes die. If I'm driving and press in the clutch to come to a stop the engine will sometimes die.

New ngk wires

New cap and rotor

I have check the IACV for function and resistance

Ignition coil measures 1.4ohm

Spark plugs 4.5ohm-4.0ohm

Compression 125 psi per cylinder

Smoke test showed no leaks

Engine was rebuilt 2 years ago

I guess I'll check fuel pressure next.

Edited by TheGageinator

Distributor ideally shouldn't be clocked at max... mine is definetly not..

I got a 93 spi ea82 5spd 4x4 loyale wgn... I have always had a non-constant misfire at idle. But never died.. rpms are good.. ping upon acceleration sometimes if the rpms are to low on take off e.g.. traffic, stop lights, hills bicyclists in the road

I second MAF..Could be vacuum leak? green connector plugged together of course when checking the timing? Double check timing smack in driverside up passenger side down center of the iii ?

Been following your threads ????????????

Edited by Len Dawg

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to check out the MAF today. I'll try to clean it first. I was thinking vacuum leak, but I couldn't find any with a smoke test. I want to check the timing, but the idle is it good enough.

Should any thing change in the way it runs when the green connectors are together? When I hook them up, absolutely nothing changes at idle

Edited by TheGageinator

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to check out the MAF today. I'll try to clean it first. I would use MAF cleaner only!!

Should any thing change in the way it runs when the green connectors are together? When I hook them up, absolutely nothing changes at idle

I would loosen the dist bolts and get it to where it will idle. And connect the green plugs under the hood drivers side and aim timing light at the Degree marks On flywheel damper under the black plug/cap on trans... I think your timing is wacked.. other than check the timing belt locations I suggested .. I think your waaay retatrd/advances in timing. .. then un plug the green connectors Edited by Len Dawg

I would loosen the dist bolts and get it to where it will idle. And connect the green plugs under the hood drivers side and aim timing light at the Degree marks On flywheel damper under the black plug/cap on trans... I think your timing is wacked.. other than check the timing belt locations I suggested .. I think your waaay retatrd/advances in timing. .. then un plug the green connectors

I'll see if I can get it to idle better by moving the distributor around

After messing with the timing, the only way that I can get a good idle, is to retard the timing so much that the engine won't Rev. I set the timing to 24degrees advanced. With premium fuel the car will do 0-60 in 16 seconds. I played with the timing, and 24 degrees works best.

Still has a crappy idle.

I think I have an idea what's up.

I can definetly get mine to pulseate exactly like that if i don't wait until motor is completely warmed up in the morning... and I put it in gear.. drive a few yards to the stop light..

I would speculate to say it could be one of the coolant temp sensors.. which one I wouldn't know... probably the one at the thermostat housing...?

And I noticed the 4wd flickers at higher RPM? Maybe alt? fuseable link? electrical? Or just video limitation?

Edited by Len Dawg

There are 4 one the drivers side little black box on top of the coolant resivor... funny you should ask I just posted a reply to the fuseable links... ooOoeEEUuuuu! Lol

Yeah man.. my 93 ea 82 fuseable links are from the dash to front

/black 1.25/green 0.5/red 0.85/green 0.5

• 2 weeks later...

Right?  The fun of the hunt stops when you pull the trigger.  Then it's just work.

I finally speared my own 15" rims from a boar named 91 Isuzu Trooper: a 6 lug conversion where I intend to drill the hubs- not the hoofs. Now I'm rooting for reliable information on how much lift I need to not have to tusk-up the fenders. Four wheels and tires 235-70R15 for $40 in bacon... Next I'll have to spin those piglets with a 2.2L power plant, not yet acquired. Then I can truly ham it up, cause up 'til now it'll just a porker.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had an awesome camping trip at the public hunting land on tawakoni lake. I took the rear lift off for the long road trip. Did lots of trails. I shredded all 4 tires haha! The car is sitting on 4 flats in my driveway. Time to get some new wheels and mud tires!!!

Edited by TheGageinator

Really?  I got nuttin' for that?

Man that post made me laugh. After my last post, I stayed off of here for a while. Took some time to get my FFL finished, and get geared up for that sort of thing.

Back to the Subaru now! Have you dropped your sub frame or rear axle? I really need to do that