Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 gl wagon stock hitachi carb stuck open? Need advice please

Ok so my daily driver is the beloved '86 gl wagon.  120K original miles.  The stock hitachi original carb has run flawlessly since I've owned the car.  I recently took the car where subaru's are at home on some pretty rough and rocky two-track desert roads.  I banged her up a bit and lost two tires but happy to report I still have yet to get stuck in this car.  Towards the evening I noticed that she was idling a little rough but she still ran out nicely down the freeway back home from wheeling.  That is until I went to get off the freeway and she stayed pegged at very high rpm and I had to shut her off.  When I started her up she still was pegged up to 4K rpm or so.  I've always ran premium fuel and again never had a problem until now after roughing her up some.  I've done little things like spray carb cleaner in the carb and check vaccuum lines and linkages but now I don't know where to continue troubleshooting? Is it possible something has rattled loose externally or is this a symptom of inner float or something?  Should I just replace with a weber kit and if so which one?  I'd appreciate any help, thoughts, comments and ideas.  I love this car and need to get it back into daily driver status.  Thanks in advance.

Sawtooth

Oh I forgot to mention but I had a belt slip off too earlier in the day which caused the car to die.  I put it back on and everything ran fine but I did notice looser than normal belts as I've been messing with the carb.  Not even sure if this could be related but thought I'd mention. Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to reply to this.  It is appreciated.  

There is a black plastic flying saucer or top hat looking piece upstream of the carb. It's on the drivers side. That little beast breaks apart and small pieces of that black plastic have gotten lodged in the carb.

We can laugh now , but Skip probably wanted to choke me after he drove my old 86 Brat back home after purchasing it from me. Well , he's going up and over the Appalachian mountains and the carb sticks open as he is heading downhill.

That's the story. Go check that part and be careful as you remove the hoses.

Also check the metal flaps on that other part I can't think of right now. It is metal and has four Philip screws you remove to expose the valve (metal flaps). Those also sometimes break apart and you want to check it anyways. That has the hard metal tubes going to and from it.

Good luck.