Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about 95' ej22 (auto) swaps into newer Legacy

I know this engine/year ej22 is considered a direct-swap for newer body styles. Was wondering up to what year Legacy it remains fairly straight-forward?

There are some fairly clean Legacy models locally,with the dead/dying ej25 for really good prices, and considering my engine is seemingly good and I've logged roughly 20k miles with it, thinking it might be worth the effort to transplant, as I like having a Legacy, especially in the winter (other car is RWD BMW, so...)

Phase 1 ej22 (1990-1998) (1990-1996 non interference and 1990-1995 non interference dual port) will work in 1998 and earlier legacy, 1999 and earlier outback, and 1998 only forester. Anything later than those years is phase 2 and it won't work. (Unless you have a phase 2 2.2. Then the list is different.

I forgot impreza. 99 became phase 2. 95-98 with automatic tranny usually had phase 1 2.2. 5 speed impreza usually had the 1.8. Mot sure when they cometely did away with the 1.8.

I have only had a couple imprezas.

So only up to 98' Legacy and 99' Outback is basically drop-in? YES

99' Outback has the updated rear crossmember? Not sure What you're referring to here? All '99 models have the newer style bellhousing w/the 8 bolts. But the earlier 4 -bolt engines still attach....just use the matching trans-side mounts.

Edited by wtdash

1999 ej25D Forester. They exist but rare.

I'm NOT trying to  pick a fight (I'd lose), but in the last 10 years of reading about and working on Subies I've never seen one.....although these rumors persist? So, I'll believe it when I see it. :-)

Edited by wtdash

Working in and out of a dealership at the time, EJ25D in a 99 Forester did NOT exist. Check the VIN.  the 99 introduced the PHASE2 block which was an SOHC on the 99 Forester. And an even bigger oddity the 99 Outback Phase 2, 2.2L which was a 1 year engine. Granted could be swapped with others.

That said, the 98 Forester was a SLUG selling when it was introduced. There were LOTS of leftovers sold in the 99 year. FHI expected their sales to be much higher than they were.

More RARE was a 98 BASE WHITE ONLY Forester..... 5 speed with NO FOG LIGHTS and I can't remember what else was missing at the time, This was not even called an L, but a base model. They were very limited. I only saw 1 then entire time I was at that dealership.

Edited by ferret

My 95' has the steel crossmember holding the rear pumpkin. I thought they switched to a large aluminum crossmember and changed the rear Independent suspension at some point around 99-01'?

2000 went to a multilink rear end but it's still all steel.

No aluminum crossmember ever.

^ Mr. G. The '96 OB.

i was referring to 99s and precious comments in this thread to help the OP. a full history didn't seem necessary for the OP but you are correct, out of context my comment doesnt stand alone and could be confusing. Edited by grossgary