Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yeah, I have no problem doing any and all service that makes sense while I am replacing the T-belt, so is it good to let things go 100k miles between T-belts, or replace every 60k as I see in my manual?  I don't know that I will have this car beyond 300k miles.

another option, which I may employ on my wrx, would be to accelerate the schedule for the NEXT TB service.

so, I may do my next service earlier and swap in a new WP at that time. The TB kit I got had GMB idlers and I have some concern they may not be as high quality as OEM. I also did not change my seals, I was concerned I had a greater chance of causing a problem since I have no experience with that work and I saw no 'weeping' of sign of a problem.

I totally get why people have everything done, and I probably would too if I were paying for someone else's labor. But if I have to get in there again because of a weeping coolant leak or oil drip, I will.

another option, which I may employ on my wrx, would be to accelerate the schedule for the NEXT TB service.

so, I may do my next service earlier and swap in a new WP at that time. The TB kit I got had GMB idlers and I have some concern they may not be as high quality as OEM. I also did not change my seals, I was concerned I had a greater chance of causing a problem since I have no experience with that work and I saw no 'weeping' of sign of a problem.

I totally get why people have everything done, and I probably would too if I were paying for someone else's labor. But if I have to get in there again because of a weeping coolant leak or oil drip, I will.

I hear ya, in my case, it's no big deal, and I get peace of mind knowing it's done.  :)

Woo Hoo!!  Got my parts in a day early!  Gotta love Amazon!  Got the T-belt Kit, and now I can get started!  B) 

• Like 1

EJ water pump failure is rare. If they fail they'll just leak.

It's common to replace them at 200k with the 105k change interval timing belt as 200k is a lot of miles on one consumable, cheap part with almost no labor (if timed with a timing belt) but in reality it's not like they fail very much...dare I say even at 200,000+ miles...? It wouldn't bother me if someone didn't want to replace it until the next tbelt at 260,00 miles rather than 200k (for 60k replacement belts like the 1998). Unlikely to fail and if it does - it leaks and no harm done just an annoyance and additional expense/time.

I'm not a mechanic so I don't have that volume, but in my circles I've actually never seen a leaking or failed EJ water pump yet.

Edited by grossgary

EJ water pump failure is rare. If they fail they'll just leak.

It's common to replace them at 200k with the 105k change interval timing belt as 200k is a lot of miles on one consumable, cheap part with almost no labor (if timed with a timing belt) but in reality it's not like they fail very much...dare I say even at 200,000+ miles...? It wouldn't bother me if someone didn't want to replace it until the next tbelt at 260,00 miles rather than 200k (for 60k replacement belts like the 1998). Unlikely to fail and if it does - it leaks and no harm done just an annoyance and additional expense/time.

I'm not a mechanic so I don't have that volume, but in my circles I've actually never seen a leaking or failed EJ water pump yet.

Good to know!  Since I have everything apart, I think I will replace it this time around just so I know it's not going to have to be messed with again until another 60k miles.  Anyone else having trouble seeing the pics I linked?

I will try again on the pics, I am using google to host them, needless to say, I have NEVER seen a belt of any kind that was so weather-checked, and when I opened the cover, sheared teeth from the belt spilled out!  I would estimate 30%+ of the teeth sheared from the old belt!  I just hope nothing was damaged as this is a '98, so it is an interference engine.  Given the extremely poor shape of the belt, I am hoping that it gave way before a valve was bent.  I guess worst case, I will just get an education on fixing that sort of problem, it appears I might have a head gasket leak (not just the cover, but the actual head) on the passenger side, it also needs a new boot/CV joint on that side, I see they still have the exhaust close to to the passenger side CV, anyone recommend a good aftermarket CV axle?  Or would you recommend I bite the bullet for a factory one?  No idea how many miles that boot has been open, so I am going to assume the joint is on it's way out.

the inner joints are somewhat protected from the environment. If the internal volume is still wet with lube, you should consider cleaning, regreasing and rebooting the axle if it is OEM (green 'cup')

next best option, buy a used Subaru axle (car-part.com) , reboot inner joint.

next , probably a quality new axle like FEQ, or maybe EMPI, Raxles, DTA, etc. (these are not risk-free options)

worst risk is typical rebuilts from a parts store, horrible reputations. avoid except in dire emergency.

new, of course, would be ideal - just $$$$ !!!

Mmmm, yeah... if you have a handful of timing belt teeth, FIRST thing to to is install the new belt temporarily to see if you have any bent valves. You'll just want to get everything back in time, don't force anything. Get the pistons off top dead center to move the cams into position. Then do a compression check before trying to start it.

Edited by Subaru Scott

Hmmm how hard is it to re-boot an axle?  Never tried that, seems it should be a simple thing, pretty sure it is a factory axle.

a little messy, fairly easy.

buy boot from Subaru, or, I like the beck-arnley boot kits - used 2 so far. They come with grease pack, new snap ring and bands. maybe $17 or so from amazon.

lots of people do this - search for a diy, and check youtube.

Tbelt. Hang a belt and see where you're at or do a leak down test.

Valves bent - install a set of used heads. They're easily done in the car, look at the headbolts they're external, visible and easy.

Axle - reboot and never but aftermarket axles no matter what anyone says even if you think they're good and qualified.

If you need an axle buy a used OEM one. OEM axles are the only that routinely last the life of the vehicle.

Thanks all, since the motor has been turned over multiple times when I was trying to figure it out, I am gonna guess if there are bent valves, it's already been done, what is the best way to now get everything lined up?  I'm guessing, TDC for cyl 1, and rotate the crank 90 DEG clockwise as said here?  (Looks like an earlier model of EJ22 but maybe timing marks are the same?)

http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Timing%20Belt.htm

do a search but, you do not want any pistons at TDC - the crank is put at 1/2 travel for each jug by using the dashed line/groove on the tab at the BACK of the crank sprocket - NOT any arrow/triangle/dot on the front of the sprocket. Then you can safely rotate the cams. In timing position, one will likely try to snap off of the top of the lobes - normal and sometimes frustrating.

I have seen a youtube video of a guy that rebooted his axle on the car so - do-able I guess.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I have been rotating the crank 2 revolutions now, and I cannot see any distinct marks at the back of any kind.  Anyone have a photo or video of what the mark looks like?  I don't need a mirror to see it in there do I?  AT trans if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Ahh ok, I was thinking that this can be 180 DEG off?  Maybe I am wrong, I have found these marks just fine, thanks for the pic!  So if I have all three marks aligned there isn't a possibility of it still being off?

I have no idea where there crankshaft is in relation to the cams,

just to be clear here, what do you mean?

very roughly - did you;

1. adjust the crankshaft to a point where the dash imprinted on the tab at the rear of the sprocket is near 12 o'conck - aligned with the dash on that 'boss' that holds the crank position sensor.

2. align the 2 cam sprocket marks with their notches or lines on the rear plastic covers.

3. Install belt

4. pull pin on tensioner

5. rotate crank sprocket 2 full turns til it's timing mark is aligned at the 12 o'clock position

6. count teeth between timing alignment marks on the pulleys

the crank will rotate twice per each single cam rotation.

that website seems legit, you can do a google image search for more diagrams/pics if you want.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Anyone have a good link/pic of the right side cam seal?  I think I have it, on the back side of the passenger side, looks like a cap?  Just hate to take something off if I don't already have the gasket.  Thanks!

I have the front driver's side SOHC cam seal, replaced it last night, and it came in a set of 2 (one of each, o-ring and seal) just want to make sure these are the seals I need for the same one on the rear of the passenger's side rear before I remove it.   It looks like the rear oil leak I have might just be the cam seal!  B)

Both cam seals are on the front of engine behind timing belt and cam sprockets both sides.

Orings are front drivers side and rear passengers side.

The cam seal is not under that rear passenegers side cam cap - just the oring. On passengers side the seal is on the front and oring on the rear.