Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time Subaru owner

Hi all, as the title says: I have never owned a Subaru.

Now I have a stock  '84 Brumby (Brat to you Stateside guys.)

I hate oil leaks and it has oil seeping from under the head of a bolt on the right side of the motor, the bolt goes from left to right. This bolt is fairly big and is sort of half way between the thermostat housing and the dip-stick tube if you are looking directly down from above.

IF I undo it and put sealer under the head and retighten it will that cause any problems! .

Edited by KiwiBrumby

It most likely is not coming from the head it's self but the camshaft case carrier...

I would say if you don't want or cannot do a reseal I would take out the bolt clean it up and clean as much oil from the hole and put some sealer around the bolt a re-torque to spec...

Edited by Len Dawg

Pardon my ignorance but if it's a Brat/Brumby does it even have a cams ?

Stateside we had OHV engines only in that vehicle.

Kiwi - dive into it man ! Everything you need to know is here. Take the engine out , it's easy enough.

Do it right , you have a high interest ride that is appreciating all around if you keep it healthy.

Edited by moosens

The bolt I'm talking about holds a steel bracket/brace dral that is bolted to the bell-housing at one end and the other (As I mentioned) is attached to the 'block'.

It is not a head-bolt.

But thanks for all the help and advice! 

The motor mount bracket holes are blind so they have nothing to do with oil. Most likely oil traveling back onto it from the pan seal.

I don't know if the bracket is called a motor mount (It only seems to go from the block to the bellhousing) and the bolt that goes through it is on the upper part of the side of the block, the other end of the bracket is bolted to the top right front of the bellhousing.. 

Bu t anyway, I thought "Maybe the bolt is not tight in the hole" - and sure enough using a 14mm spanner (wrench) I tightened it another 1/2 turn or more and now there's virtually no oil around the bolt head!

And IF it still leaks oil I will slacken this bolt and use some RTV under the head of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the bracket is called a motor mount (It only seems to go from the block to the bellhousing) and the bolt that goes through it is on the upper part of the side of the block, the other end of the bracket is bolted to the top right front of the bellhousing.. 

Bu t anyway, I thought "Maybe the bolt is not tight in the hole" - and sure enough using a 14mm spanner (wrench) I tightened it another 1/2 turn or more and now there's virtually no oil around the bolt head!

And IF it still leaks oil I will slacken this bolt and use some RTV under the head of it.

Yep, the leak is fixed!!

Did first road trip and got 33mpg.