Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Barn find

Hello, first time posting on this particular forum. My specialty leans more towards motorcycles but I have a '97 outback that has, over the years, made me really love Subarus. Anyway a few weekends ago my buddies and I were doing some off roading in the Sawtooths and I happened across this beauty. I had no idea the Brat even existed until I saw this thing.

DSC0465.jpg

I've always wanted some sort of small pickup and seeing the "Subaru" across the side of the creamsicle-themed paint job made my eyes light up. Unfortunately it has clearly seen MUCH better days however. This side isn't bad at all, but the barn side looks like crumpled newspaper. Seems the cows couldn't appreciate it's beauty.

DSC0466.jpg

So I went back to the spot yesterday to grab these pics. I looked up the VIN formats last night and it looks like it's a '78. From what I can gather so far it has the early smaller motor, and doesn't have the nice High-low gearbox. Looking at google earth past imagery, I figured out it showed up here between 2009 and 2011 and hasn't moved since. I managed to find out who owns the property too. So I'm thinking I might contact them and try to pick it up as a very-long-term restoration project. I've never tackled a project this big but I figure this would be the perfect car to start. I do all of the big repairs on my car, mostly just replacing components, but if I wan't to get this thing back to it's former glory, I can tell I'm gonna have to learn a lot of new skills.

First thing I think I would do is try to get the engine running with almost no money being put into it. Having worked on a lot of motorcycles, I'm familiar with carbs and small engines, so I'd tear it down pretty much all the way to just do simple stuff like cleaning. If a rod is snapped or something similar, I am leaning towards just putting an EJ22 in it. There's a few videos on youtube from a guy who did it that gives a good idea of what it would take. My question then would be to figure out what gearbox to put in it because from what I hear, the original one is pretty awful.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I just wanted to throw these pictures out here to get some opinions from Brat owners who have presumably worked on them before. Maybe a recommendation of what I should offer them too. I was pretty much just thinking 200 bucks considering it's barely even a car right now and just something for cows to lean on.

I'll leave you with the rest of the pictures I took.

DSC0467.jpg

DSC0468.jpg

DSC0469.jpg

DSC0470.jpg

DSC0471-_Pano.jpg

DSC0474-_Pano.jpg

DSC0480.jpg

DSC0481-_Pano.jpg

DSC0498.jpg

DSC0500.jpg

• Like 2

I would be interested in the front brush guard bumper if your willing to part it and ship. You can ship that size and heavy items thru greyhound for an reasonable price.. I live in West Palm Beach, FL 33406. please email me at tbag1331@yahoo.com for more details if your willing to part that piece out.. Thanks, Tommy..

I would be interested in the front brush guard bumper if your willing to part it and ship. You can ship that size and heavy items thru greyhound for an reasonable price.. I live in West Palm Beach, FL 33406. please email me at tbag1331@yahoo.com for more details if your willing to part that piece out.. Thanks, Tommy..

The bumpers and the big bar in the bed are one of the reasons I love the look of it, but I did find this on my local craigslist. Looks like it's exactly the same. Doesn't sound like they're keen on shipping but you might be able to convince them. https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/pts/6149313371.html

• Like 1

The factory roll bar, front push bar, and flat spoke jackman wheels are worth taking the whole car for.  It looks like it also has a factory option rear bumper upgrade.  I'd even bet the sunroof was added at the dealership. Looks like this brat rolled out of the show room floor  w/ every bell and whistle that could be bolted to it.

Too bad it has been used as a punching bag, and not allowed to rest quietly.

However it looks pretty solid and dry, just a ton of cosmetic problems.