Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For a year or so i have this misfire only when warm starting and only for 1-2 seconds.

There is no fault codes popping up.

I have this tourq lite program and this is what it say.

When idle

screenshot-2017-05-31-19-32-00.png

screenshot-2017-05-31-19-33-05.png

2500rpm

screenshot-2017-05-31-19-33-38.png

screenshot-2017-05-31-19-33-51.png

screenshot-2017-05-31-19-33-43.png

The 02 sensor going up and down. Might be like this i dont know?

• 1 month later...

Wish I could help you, Starlite--hopefully some of our gurus will chime in.

I'm sure you Googled your code, that should offer some suggestions.  Warm start problems can be caused by a faulty ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor)--might be worth checking out.

Good luck.  Keep checking back here. 

You're going to need someone really good with ECU data to review it. Not many of those post frequently online. But hopefully someone will.

I'd replace the front O2 sensors. I plan on 300,000 miles and replacing those once around 150-200k. So if I have an issue I consider this a free fix on my way to 300k, just do preventative maintenance i would do anyway.

If valve covers are leaky now or future (common for this age), be sure to check the valve clearance while the covers are off. Exhaust valves are most commonly tight. They're too tightens cause misfires and other issues and eventually burn valves. I've seen one exhaust valve on an all original 200k H6 with zero issues that had zero clearance.

I'd swap fuel injector and COP and see if the code moves with the injector/COP or stays with the cylinder.

• Like 1

The symptoms i have is..

Misfires when warm but not all the times.

When driving and make a kickdown a white cloud will appear behind the car.

Do a kickdown again and no cloud appear.

And this happen only one time when driving the car.

Do not leak or dissapear water from the coolant overflow.

It did before and i cahnge the radiator cap and it stop.

Throwing pending code p0174.

Do not overheat, never have.

Me myselfe believe its a cracked head or headgasket.

16000km (9900 miles)

Have changed the mufflers and noticed alot of water in them.

There is no coolant smell in the exhaust.

Edited by Starlite

3.0l Tribeca-  misfire at startup &blowing white smoke.  It cleared up after a few seconds and ran fine after that, until it sat for a while and the it would repeat.  Don't remember whether it overheated or not.  Figured out that if I pressurized the cooing  system it would push coolant into the cylinder (#3) and I could duplicate the miss and smoke every time I started it.  Assumed it to be a HG problem, but machine shop found a crack in the head.

I'm kinda thinking an oil analysis might be helpful. If coolant or fuel are creeping-in when the engine is off, traces might be found in the oil.

Any company available to you like Blackstone or Polaris here in the US?

also, given the few miles, kinda wondering if the PCV system might need servicing.

how is the car used? very short trips? long intervals of sitting but some distance when driven?