Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have replaced the head gaskets, and put a new timing kit on the car. I followed the directions and the lines on the new belt. Turned it some and back like it said. all seemed well. I then rotated the belt all of the way around 2X to see if there were any issues. None I could tell. but the timing marks on the belt no longer line up. That looks like it would be normal? in all the info I can find, noe one mentions this.

Just checking before going forward. 

Thanks

This is a 99 outback wagon, 2.5L

Edited by whynot162

Turned it some and back like it said.  

Do not EVER rotate the engine in reverse.  Do not pull allow a manual trans vehicle to roll backwards while in gear, same thing.  

At least not with any oil in the passages.  

The reason is that you can blow out the retaining ring of the oil pump bypass, and suck in the o-rings that seal the oil passages.

Oi pumps are "positive displacement"  meaning that if rotates it WILL pump oil, with great hydraulic force.  Run it backwards, and it will try to suck oil out of the passages.  Collapsing the filter medium, sucking in on O-rings that are supposed to be under pressure not suction.  

Never seen actual damage to an EJ oil pump.  

But I've seen it many times on EA oil pumps where the oil filter bypass ball and spring seat fall out when you take off the oil filter.  This allows oil to permanently bypass the filter.