Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Ticking Lifter... Possible Fix

Solid Lifter EA81

Since I did an engine reseal last summer (2016), I have had a very annoying  tick coming from the passenger side rear of my engine block (so cylinder #3). I replaced the oil pump, push rods, oil pan gasket, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals (done in October of 2015), etcetera, etcetera. This ticking has completely baffled me, because I did not touch the lifters at all. (Other than get new push rods to replace the bent ones). I have readjusted them to spec (.010" intake .014" exhaust) countless times, and yet the tick continues. My theory is that since this was the second time I have resurfaced my heads (I did my HGs in october of 2015 as well), my heads have lost enough material that there is more slop. Is this a viable theory?

I have done some searching here on the forum, and have turned up several threads about solid lifter ticks... there seems to be a consensus that a person can tighten them up a couple thousands of an inch to take up extra slack. The difference that I am worried about is that most of these guys seem to have had their cam shaft reground, which is not the circumstance with me. Anyways, what do yall think? Could I take a thou off each valves clearance and see if that takes up the slop? 

Here on some of the threads I used for reference:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/110933-odd-noise-after-engine-work-ea81/?hl=%2Bea81+%2Blifter+%2Btick&do=findComment&comment=931599

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/108408-another-noisy-ea81-thread-solved-with-some/?hl=%2Bea81+%2Blifter+%2Btick&do=findComment&comment=910808

I don't like solid lift valve train noises so all solid lifter setups I put the lash at .006" intake, and .008" exhaust. Just don't forget to do your lash adjustments as specified in the service manual. 10 and 14 is too loose they will flop around like a limp d**k in a windstorm.

GD

haha what a great visual  :lol: . I'll try tightening them up... why on earth do you suppose they would set the specs so loose?

As I noted - don't neglect your maintenance checks on valve clearance if you run them tight. But I've never had a problem. Exhaust valves seem to burn away at a rate of about .010-.015" per 100k miles on the high end. If you rack the valves every 15k as the manual suggests you will not be in any significant danger. They run them loose because people are prone to neglecting their maintenance. Being it's only 2 bolts for the valve cover.... once you get a feel for it you can do it by just feeling the rocker play by hand. Though I don't recommend that till you have been doing it for a decade.

GD

As I noted - don't neglect your maintenance checks on valve clearance if you run them tight. But I've never had a problem. Exhaust valves seem to burn away at a rate of about .010-.015" per 100k miles on the high end. If you rack the valves every 15k as the manual suggests you will not be in any significant danger. They run them loose because people are prone to neglecting their maintenance. Being it's only 2 bolts for the valve cover.... once you get a feel for it you can do it by just feeling the rocker play by hand. Though I don't recommend that till you have been doing it for a decade.

GD

sweet. thanks for your help GD and naru. I will readjust them and be sure to check them more regularly.