Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in the market for a used car. I am currently the proud owner of a 1993 loyal. It's been a great car but frankly I'm getting tired of maintaining it and I need something a bit bigger. I'm leaning towards another​ subie, I do like the Forester. I'd like to get some advice on what to look for. From what I have found in my price range ($5k) they seem to have around 150k miles and be in the early to mid 2000 year's. What should I expect to have been done maintenance wise? Are there different motors for same models? Any and all info would be great!

Just plan on doing new piston rings and head gaskets.

The head gaskets all fail right on up through 2009 models.

If it's "been done", 95% chance it's been done wrong.

When you get in there (not if), might as well do the rings and a 10mm oil pump and have a reliable lubrication system and an engine that doesn't burn any oil.

Between that, and the usual axles, rear wheel bearings, tires, brakes, etc that all 15 year old cars will need, expect to put in another $2,000 to $3,000 if you are having a Subaru experienced shop do the work.

Get an automatic. Manuals have more maintenance and less overall reliability.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

What GD said ^^. But if major engine work turns you off, Try to find an early/mid 90's Legacy with a 2.2. Getting rarer these days, but there should still be a few rust free ones up there in PNW, if you can find someone willing to part with one! Those engines are simply bulletproof, and will go 1/2 million miles or more with no major work at all.

If you're proud of a Loyale, you'll love a Legacy. 

Edited by Subaru Scott

I find that EJ22's generally need a head gasket around 300k or so. They just wear out. A good overheat will take them over the edge usually.

Those cars are getting very old. Chances of getting a good one these days is pretty rare.

Honestly the best deal on a Subaru is a brand new one. The loan rates for new cars is very low.

GD

Love the 95 2.2 swaps into a 98 Forester or 96-99 Legacy Outback.  I have had a 98 OBS Manual Trans it had 380K on it when I sold it and it's still going strong.  I"m now in a 2000 OBS Auto.  It has 240K on it.

You can't go wrong with this set up and normal maintenance.

Under $2000 and you have a great car that will last years!

Here's a couple:

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6161214892.html

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6160168054.html

Edited by lmdew

Buy something with 200k miles. It should have the bugs worked out. Newish head gaskets and not be a problem for at least 50k miles depending. But you will get a good discount going over 200k anyway.. If you get a 1999-2004 and the engin quit, then a JDM ej20 is well under $1000 some importers will do the swap or its not too expensive or hard. Days time casual work. Less power but if you drive an EA car, you probably would be ok with that