Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coolant temperature sensor on 98 OBW ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchboy

Dutchboy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:16 PM

My 98 OBW (2.5 DOHC) has difficulty starting (several seconds cranking) in the morning. It only happens when the engine is cold. After it starts the engine idles high (~1500 now; ~2000rpm in winter) for the first couple of blocks (1-2 min). After that all seems to be fine. No check engine light ever.
Reading on this board, coolant temp sensors are often suspect on these cars (with this type of problem). Dealer can only check when I drop of the car the day before so I wanted to check the sensor myself. I have the OBW service manual (pdf) but for the life of me, I can not find the thing. According to the manual it should look like the average temp sensor screwed into the block somewhere on the left (when facing the engine).
1] Can anybody show me a photograph or tell me which lines to follow in order to get to the thing ?
2] Can anybody tell me what the readings (resistance in Ohms, when disconnected, or voltagedrop across the terminals when connected) should be when cold, and what they should be when engine is warm ?
3] Any other suggestions for the sort of symptoms ?
It is not critical, but I like to keep up with it.
4] Finally, anybody have any good suggestions on OBD2 software for laptop or handheld ?

Thanks a lot.

Hank
98 OBW (75K)

#2 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:57 AM

1) http://www.ultimates...50&postcount=10

2) http://www.ultimates...22&postcount=10

#3 Dutchboy

Dutchboy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:46 PM

Thanks. I finally found it (bolted inside the block would be the only place more difficult) and measured in the car both hot and cold and the readings are perfectly fine (2.3k @ cold, ~300 ohm when warmed up).

Still have the problem. Have to start long (5sec) when cold, after it starts it idles high for a couple of minutes/blocks after that all is fine. Any ideas other than leave it alone ?

Thanks

Hank
Dutchboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users