Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No start when cold and damp

Hi all - My 82 sportswagon has been refusing to start in the morning - it has been cold and dewy just lately and the old girl doesn't like it - this morning I had to have the bonnet up while the sun dried things out for 10 minutes - started fine after that - never had this problem with any of my other Subarus - Brumbys - L series or wagons - so I bought a hair drier today at the second hand shop - a quick burst of warm air over the coil and distributor cap used to wake up my old Mitsubishi Sigma years ago - so tomorrow I will give it a try - but it does not explain why THIS car has the damp don't want to.

You need to take the distributor cap off and scrub it clean. Of course, if it looks really worn, just replace it. Clean the top of the coil as well.

+1

You may have a hairline crack in the cap, so you should check for that too.

Edited by Dee2

If you are cash poor and can't swing a new set of wires and cap, just clean and dry out everything.  Then smear some dialectic grease, vasoline, or whatever you have on hand around the wire connections, to keep the moisture out.    This will buy you some time until you buy the parts you need.