Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat compatabilty - what fits?

I need to get a better drivers seat for my Brumby and on looking at the mounts on my sons 2001 Legacy wagon it seems the seat-mount system is quite similar.

So do other Subaru seats fit the Brumy/Brat models - WITHOUT a lot of chop and channelling?

I just put a set of 1994 legacy seats in my BRAT/Brumpy. It did require me to weld some brackets on the underside of the Legacy seats. The mounting holes were very close but just different enough to require welding. I have the seats out right now if you'd like a picture...

I installed 2003 or 04, can't remember, Impreza RS seats in my Brat back in 04 or 05. The inside mounts bolted in to the best of my memory. I had some 1" steel tabs cut to tab the outside over to meet the factory holes. Was really simple and only took a few hours to install. 

I have swapped XT-6 seats into an 84 hatch with great success.  no chopping of the rails but I did have to use some bar stock to fabricate brackets so the rails would mount to the wider seat frame.  I also had to remove the forward assist spring from the passenger seat.  My current hatch has seats from a 89 Honda Accord.  Same story with fabricating brackets to mount up the stock seat rails.

I just put a set of 1994 legacy seats in my BRAT/Brumpy. It did require me to weld some brackets on the underside of the Legacy seats. The mounting holes were very close but just different enough to require welding. I have the seats out right now if you'd like a picture...

Sorry but I was away from the computer for a couple of days but yes I would love to see some pics - and any other useful info!

Here is an unvalidated list of seats that DON'T need welding, from oldest to newest :

GK Sigma (no use for the US guys, though the Scorpion may have used the same seats and was sold as the Dodge Challenger in the early 80s in the USDM)

KB/KC Laser

Early WRX (94-95)

Mazda MX5 (Miata)

1986 Mazda 626 (not the later models)

DA9 Honda Integra (recommended if you are > 180cm / 6ft)

2009 Suzuki Swift

BRZ / 86 (requires shimming or trimming) - I am running these at the moment and the passenger side is the main culprit. They are also fairly hip-hugging but offer great support. The BRZ has BRZ embroidered on them, the Toyota seats don't so I picked up the Toyota version (which is also a heck of a lot easier to find here).

• Like 3

Here is an unvalidated list of seats that DON'T need welding, from oldest to newest :

GK Sigma (no use for the US guys, though the Scorpion may have used the same seats and was sold as the Dodge Challenger in the early 80s in the USDM)

KB/KC Laser

Early WRX (94-95)

Mazda MX5 (Miata)

1986 Mazda 626 (not the later models)

DA9 Honda Integra (recommended if you are > 180cm / 6ft)

2009 Suzuki Swift

BRZ / 86 (requires shimming or trimming) - I am running these at the moment and the passenger side is the main culprit. They are also fairly hip-hugging but offer great support. The BRZ has BRZ embroidered on them, the Toyota seats don't so I picked up the Toyota version (which is also a heck of a lot easier to find here).

Absolutely brilliant stuff!

This is the sort of info I joined this site to get - particularly being new to the 'game' of early Subaru ownership.

My passenger seat is in top order in grey basket-weave pattern   - but my driver seat is a replacement with a different colour and in velour and the seat back adjustment is welded by the P.O. so no recline adjustment, hence a need for another seat.

A seat identical to the current passenger seat would be ideal but as they said in the movie: "  tell 'im he's dreamin!" :D  .